Why oh why did I bother with 11 speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Law of diminishing returns bites again, I imagine the main attraction will be for the 1x crowd, and likely spare cassettes will set you back £150 or somesuch and you might as well just stick with the FD to maintain the same range of gears.
Putting on my @Tim Hall sponsored pedantry cap, shurely the "1x" crowd are the crowd that are happy with things as they are. I think you want the "+1 crowd". Or maybe they're a brigade? It's difficult to keep up with the organisational structure of the indignant.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Eventually there'll be eleventy-eight geared bikes with a single tooth difference between each. I've no problem with it at all, but wonder what it really brings to the non professional cyclist.
Nothing really, but they have to market it in order for the pros to be able to use it in competition. Those who buy it have, and you can choose in order of preference;-

1/ More money than sense
2/ Enough disposable income to easily afford it

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
I prefer one of these:
th?id=OIP.6zAuLuupZ4hxWe81gQw9zQAAAA&pid=15.jpg

A gear for the flat, a gear for going up hill and one for going down hill. :thumbsup:

bpsmith

Veteran
The old “More money than sense” comments, yet again.

Still remains the most ridiculously illogical sentence that it is. Not to mention, fecking boring. ;-)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The old “More money than sense” comments, yet again.

Still remains the most ridiculously illogical sentence that it is. Not to mention, fecking boring. ;-)
My post was badly worded. I have altered it to read, "Now you can choose in order of preference", as I did not intend to give the impression that option 1 was my own first choice.

Which it isn't.

screenman

Legendary Member
Perhaps for pro racers there may be some benefit, But for the likes of myself i can go round the same 30 mile route with a 70s bike with down tube shifters as i can on a modern carbon bike with 8 more gears, maybe a few seconds in it but certainly not noticeable to me so an extra gear or three to me any way may be a nice talking point but would certainly not improve my cycling performance.

Fine, but if bikes had stayed in the twenties?

Top Bottom