Why oh why did I bother with 11 speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Me; I love the look , the feel and the brifters fit my small hands.
Plus that big 'kerlunk kerchang sound lets you know you have shifted on a 1 tooth 'corncob' cassette.

DSCN0055.JPG

EDIT - there are 10 cogs on that cassette. :wacko:

bpsmith

Veteran
Castillo

Castelli is fine. Decent quality without silly prices and a few earthy club members use their kit. I can happily do many steep climbs on 25/28 but not all day long one after the other especially after 100 miles or so. Bail out gears for the win.
Now the banter is out of the way, my comment on the frame and low gearing wasn’t actually a dig at anyone using a 30. I was just trying to say that the mid level frames are so good these days that you’d need to be pushing harder on it to get the benefit of the difference between mid and top end frames. Spinning doesn’t put the same strain on the bike, much like the knees.

gds58

Über Member
Last year I think.
SRAM Eagle 12 speed has been around for the last two years and Campagnolo very recently launched their new Record 12 Speed Road Groupset. Whoever it was that made the comment ‘it’s all about cadence’ was actually pretty spot on. 12 speed cassettes allow for more 1 tooth only increments across the range thereby allowing you to maintain exactly the right cadence as the gradient changes rather than sudden changes in cadence due to 2 or 3 tooth jumps from one sprocket to the next. I would hazard a guess that many of those who are deriding the introduction of 12 speed either don’t know or understand the importance of a correct cadence or aren’t bothered about riding with a good cadence.
12 speed has also allowed the increasing popularity of 1 x systems which are becoming ever more common across all cycling disciplines.
I work in the trade so I see first hand how everything evolves.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
The terms “grinding / spinning” belong in the ‘irritating isn’t it?’ thread as well. I prefer the terms Cadence bias, and Torque bias, as they are more technical terms. I’ve always preferred getting the power by torque biasing, my bikes are set up and geared accordingly. It’s another reason why 11 speed + set ups are overkill for my riding requirements. There was a prime example of how I do things, versus the accepted / internet trope way, a lot of people prefer to ride, last Sunday. I happened across a Sportive, and so many of the riders were riding with ridiculous looking ( to me ) cadences, and I was flying past them, using a far lower Cadence, just Torque biasing my riding, to get ( obviously) more power than a lot of them. I think a lot of the ‘Cadence bias-ers’ don’t understand that they also need ‘Souplesse’ to get it to work properly, or they just look like Lycra clad hamsters, on a wheel, and really aren’t doing themselves the favour, they believe they are.

The terms “grinding / spinning” belong in the ‘irritating isn’t it?’ thread as well. I prefer the terms Cadence bias, and Torque bias, as they are more technical terms. I’ve always preferred getting the power by torque biasing, my bikes are set up and geared accordingly. It’s another reason why 11 speed + set ups are overkill for my riding requirements. There was a prime example of how I do things, versus the accepted / internet trope way, a lot of people prefer to ride, last Sunday. I happened across a Sportive, and so many of the riders were riding with ridiculous looking ( to me ) cadences, and I was flying past them, using a far lower Cadence, just Torque biasing my riding, to get ( obviously) more power than a lot of them. I think a lot of the ‘Cadence bias-ers’ don’t understand that they also need ‘Souplesse’ to get it to work properly, or they just look like Lycra clad hamsters, on a wheel, and really aren’t doing themselves the favour, they believe they are.

Given that it was a sportive, isn't it also possible they were not racing, and thus did not care much for speed and were simply training for high cadence?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The terms “grinding / spinning” belong in the ‘irritating isn’t it?’ thread as well. I prefer the terms Cadence bias, and Torque bias, as they are more technical terms.

I prefer the terms 'grinding' and 'spinning' as they relate more to how I feel when I'm riding, so are easier to understand, rather than being meaningless pseudo-science jargon.

Also 'cadence bias-ers' is a horrible mouthful compared to 'spinners'.

I think the optimum gear count was achieved with 8 speed. The thickness of metal was sufficient for stamped steel entry-level production, thinner modern units need high strength materials or carriers. The gaps between cogs was sufficient to avoid high precision cable movements enabling better running between services. The chains were wider, again permitting entry level materials to use the design and maintain durability. Tourists, roadies, MTBers and couriers used 8 speed in all levels of qualities for long distance riding for many years.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It's just the cadence that suits the person riding we are not pro's, (bias):wacko:

Milzy

Guru
Interesting post. I’ll be going 12 speed when it’s more affordable.

Top Bottom