Why oh why did I bother with 11 speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The campag 12 speed cassette is £300 :wacko:
Just have to wait a year for the "Trickle down..."

My biggest beef once the osts come down will be chain wear the.11 speeds are definitely more fragile

Milzy

Guru
Just have to wait a year for the "Trickle down..."

My biggest beef once the osts come down will be chain wear the.11 speeds are definitely more fragile
I couldn’t find an Ultegra 6800 in 11-32 so had to buy a 105. Can’t wait for the next trickle down.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'm slowly building up a new bike at the moment, and of all the available gearing choices I've opted for 3x8. For practicality, affordability, and durability, you can't really beat it.

Ridden 2x11 on a friend's MTB, and just had to double shift all the time :laugh:

bpsmith

Veteran
I couldn’t find an Ultegra 6800 in 11-32 so had to buy a 105. Can’t wait for the next trickle down.

I’d rather have a top frame with Tiagra on than a lesser frame with Dura ace on, I’ll tell you that.

Why do you need a top end frame if you also need an 11-32 cassette? Kind of contradictory, as anyone truly utilising the difference between a good frame and a top end frame, are likely not to need a 32 tooth lowest gear.

Milzy

Guru
Why do you need a top end frame if you also need an 11-32 cassette? Kind of contradictory, as anyone truly utilising the difference between a good frame and a top end frame, are likely not to need a 32 tooth lowest gear.
Because I’m doing the Fred Whitton and a trip to the Alps. My local area I use 25t. Always better to be over geard than under geard. Even pros are using bigger sprockets in the mountains now. Why put loads of torque through your knees when you can spin to win. Grinding is slower, proved on the GCN show.

You sound like a Rapha brigade cycle snob who isn’t bad but just quite can’t cut cat 3.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
Plenty of pros use 30 cassettes on the grand tours ?

Because I’m doing the Fred Whitton and a trip to the Alps. My local area I use 25t. Always better to be over geard than under geard. Even pros are using bigger sprockets in the mountains now. Why put loads of torque through your knees when you can spin to win. Grinding is slower, proved on the GCN show.

You sound like a Rapha brigade cycle snob who isn’t bad but just quite can’t cut cat 3.

Given you both likes for those replies, as some Pro’s do use 30’s at times. Some are Domestique’s who just want to save themselves to work hard another day. Others are able to pump out serious cadence all day long. The question is whether they also have a Compact or a Standard in conjunction.

The likes are for comparing yourselves to Pro’s btw. :smile:

Grinding vs Spinning is dependent on the rider. It depends on your legs and what your riding style is. I know an awesome rider who regularly grinds, but then can’t spin well. Powering down a climb, he couldn’t catch up with me because he said that he couldn’t spin as fast as me. He’s a way better rider than I am without question, but if he had to spin then he wouldn’t be as good as he is.

With respect to the dig about Rapha cyclists, I am a Castelli man @Milzy, at least get the brand right. ;)

Milzy

Guru
Castillo
Given you both likes for those replies, as some Pro’s do use 30’s at times. Some are Domestique’s who just want to save themselves to work hard another day. Others are able to pump out serious cadence all day long. The question is whether they also have a Compact or a Standard in conjunction.

The likes are for comparing yourselves to Pro’s btw. :smile:

Grinding vs Spinning is dependent on the rider. It depends on your legs and what your riding style is. I know an awesome rider who regularly grinds, but then can’t spin well. Powering down a climb, he couldn’t catch up with me because he said that he couldn’t spin as fast as me. He’s a way better rider than I am without question, but if he had to spin then he wouldn’t be as good as he is.

With respect to the dig about Rapha cyclists, I am a Castelli man @Milzy, at least get the brand right. ;)
Castelli is fine. Decent quality without silly prices and a few earthy club members use their kit. I can happily do many steep climbs on 25/28 but not all day long one after the other especially after 100 miles or so. Bail out gears for the win.

Top Bottom