Why pro don't use very low profile wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
Particularly for TDF stage 17 consisting of 3 incredible climbs, I don't see the pro were really using those very low profile wheels, something like early yrs Marco Pantini bike, 25mm or lesser profile. I sensed av. profile they used for stage 17 were 35 or 40mm.

I read articles that weight is not the most important factor for speed as riding on a course of ups and downs will average out. Yes, low profile will create more turbulence ard the wheel, but the disadvantages will be negated riding in a peloton.

If they are paranoid to throw away gels during climb which is a mere grams to reduce weight, why not use those very low profile wheel which will lighten at least 500 to 600g.

Tin Pot

Guru
Particularly for TDF stage 17 consisting of 3 incredible climbs, I don't see the pro were really using those very low profile wheels, something like early yrs Marco Pantini bike, 25mm or lesser profile. I sensed av. profile they used for stage 17 were 35 or 40mm.

I read articles that weight is not the most important factor for speed as riding on a course of ups and downs will average out. Yes, low profile will create more turbulence ard the wheel, but the disadvantages will be negated riding in a peloton.

If they are paranoid to throw away gels during climb which is a mere grams to reduce weight, why not use those very low profile wheel which will lighten at least 500 to 600g.

Aero > Weight

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Gels and bottles don't count towards bike weight so they can be thrown away. Bikes (according to UCI regulations), however, cannot weigh less than 6.8 kg so you can bet that nearly every pro bike weighs almost exactly that weight no matter what kind of wheels it has!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the top end carbon wheels that the pros are using can be as light as a set of decent alloy wheels mere mortals can afford and given their average speeds aero is still an advantage overall.

Top Bottom