Why Richie Porte doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
Both Richie and Simon Clark were penalized for 2 mins for Richie accepting a rival wheels. He has 4 other pacers with him. Why can’t he change wheels with them. (I wan’t on TV on that part).

Surely both knew abt regulation and why they were doing it. Its like intentionally making a 2-foot challenge onto opponent in football match knowing it will be a straight red card. I call Richie really stupid, or was he hoping no commisaire can see it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Do you watch much pro cycling?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's an explanation here Giro d'Italia 2015 *spoilers* (thanks to @rich p ) which links to here:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-team-sky-are-fired-up-to-gain-back-time-at-giro-ditalia

The incident happened with just over four kilometres remaining of the stage, meaning that Porte was outside the safety of the three-kilometre rule that prevents riders from losing time if they have a mechanical or are involved in a crash. Porte’s teammates were on the opposite side of the road when it happened. When they finally made it over to help their stricken leader Clarke had already stepped in, unwittingly costing the Team Sky rider more time.

“By the time the guys had got back to me Simon had already stopped and offered me his wheel. It was a spur of the minute thing,” he explained. “Alberto summed it up last night - all you are thinking about when something like that happens is 'how can I make sure I lose the least time possible'. I didn't even give it a thought that it might be breaking the rules. Everything was happening so quickly and I was just acting on adrenaline.”

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
There's an explanation here Giro d'Italia 2015 *spoilers* (thanks to @rich p ) which links to here:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-team-sky-are-fired-up-to-gain-back-time-at-giro-ditalia

The incident happened with just over four kilometres remaining of the stage, meaning that Porte was outside the safety of the three-kilometre rule that prevents riders from losing time if they have a mechanical or are involved in a crash. Porte’s teammates were on the opposite side of the road when it happened. When they finally made it over to help their stricken leader Clarke had already stepped in, unwittingly costing the Team Sky rider more time.

“By the time the guys had got back to me Simon had already stopped and offered me his wheel. It was a spur of the minute thing,” he explained. “Alberto summed it up last night - all you are thinking about when something like that happens is 'how can I make sure I lose the least time possible'. I didn't even give it a thought that it might be breaking the rules. Everything was happening so quickly and I was just acting on adrenaline.”

Tks Mate

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
Do you watch much pro cycling?
I'm into watching abt a yr. I believed there are people love watching sport but may not know the rules. My wife love watching soccer yet she doesn't know what is off-side.

So the way you ask seems disturbing. Is there any harm asking or am i just watch isn't enough to know the rules.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm into watching abt a yr. I believed there are people love watching sport but may not know the rules. My wife love watching soccer yet she doesn't know what is off-side.

So the way you ask seems disturbing. Is there any harm asking or am i just watch isn't enough to know the rules.
I think it is calling the rider "Stupid" when you've not been following the sport long enough to understand it that brought the curt response.

MikeW-71

Veteran
It can take a bit to get to know the rules and tactics in cycling, when I started watching I didn't have a clue why or how things worked during a race. Now I have a better idea and it makes watching a race more enjoyable for me. I didn't know about that rule, but since I'd never seen something like that happen before, it wasn't a surprise to learn it was illegal.

Yes, he should have waited for his teammates and taken one of their wheels instead.

I have wondered though, if he could have ridden on for 1km on the flat tyre, then called a mechanical and stopped inside 3km to go, would he have then been safe from losing further time? If so, would that have cost him less than the 42s he lost on the road?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I think it is calling the rider "Stupid" when you've not been following the sport long enough to understand it that brought the curt response.

Absolutely, there is a difference between asking a question and ignorantly calling the rider in question an idiot...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Porte may not be an idiot, but ignoring or not knowing a basic rule of his sport led to him making a poor error.

Top Bottom