Why so many breakfast rules...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dinner and lunch is a pretty much free-for-all, but why all the rules about breakfast?

Bacon sandwich, not problem, ham sandwich, weird. There really isn't much difference.

If you've ever had a cafe/hotel breakfast you'll almost certainly had a beef sausage at some point. But a beefburger, that's just wrong?

And when was it decided that haricot beans in a tomato sauce become completely normal, and why then not say, haricot beans in a white sauce, or kidney beans in a tomato sauce?

Chips, never for breakfast, oh but hash browns are ok?

And then the sauces, brown, fine, ketchup, knock yourself out....periperi or mayonnaise? No way!

It seems a very narrow menu is allowed and any slight variations, even completely logical ones, are met with revulsion. Is this peculiar to the UK? Obviously I know breakfasts around the world vary, but does the fanatical rule sticking also apply?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A limited menu makes it easier for the staff.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I think leftover curry should be added to the list of acceptable foods :hungry:

cheaty-lamb-curry.jpg

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
In Serbia, many years ago, I was introduced to the "beer for breakfast" idea :okay: Not sure if it is/was common, but I was offered it by a waiter. The woman on the next table was having one, so I felt it would be churlish to refuse.

In Serbia, many years ago, I was introduced to the "beer for breakfast" idea :okay: Not sure if it is/was common, but I was offered it by a waiter. The woman on the next table was having one, so I felt it would be churlish to refuse.
It is always beer o' clock somewhere in the world and as you say, it is rude not to join in. I'm having one right now in case I offend you by abstaining.

ayceejay

Guru
Many years ago when I worked shifts it was difficult to tell if what you were eating was breakfast or dinner. I usually considered a meal before work breakfast and after work dinner - week ends were confusing.:sad:

Top Bottom