Why so many breakfast rules...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When my grandfather was still alive, in the 60's, his breakfast consisted of some bread, camembert , salami sausage and a glass of white wine. If I remember well he died at the age of 72 which was good in those days.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm surprised no-one's thought to mention the one true oddity that distinguishes breakfasts from lunches, dinners and any other meals you care to mention - the fact that many or even most of us think nothing of having exactly the same thing every morning, whereas we would never dream of having exactly the same thing every day for any other meal. It's always struck me as strange...

Simontm

Veteran
Many years ago when I worked shifts it was difficult to tell if what you were eating was breakfast or dinner. I usually considered a meal before work breakfast and after work dinner - week ends were confusing.:sad:

I used to enjoy the looks from those going to work when I tucked into a beer at 8am at Smiths when on Nightshift :cheers:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I'm surprised no-one's thought to mention the one true oddity that distinguishes breakfasts from lunches, dinners and any other meals you care to mention - the fact that many or even most of us think nothing of having exactly the same thing every morning, whereas we would never dream of having exactly the same thing every day for any other meal. It's always struck me as strange...

I do exactly that. Well...Monday to Friday anyway...cheaper that way...variety be the spice of life be a clever marketing mans tool...I'd happily muddle the order around though.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I think leftover curry should be added to the list of acceptable foods :hungry:

View attachment 82775

Hipsters- please start this business, close to my commute preferred.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
[QUOTE 3594287, member: 259"]Start eating cold ham and cheese and stuff and you're straying into the strange and dangerous waters of the 'continental breakfast' :ohmy:[/QUOTE]

oooh la la

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
chips for breakfast is derigeur in the decent Caffs I frequented in my site days in London, and I was a regular user of them !

best breakfast used to be Ham egg n chips in a little greasy spoon on Compton Street.

I think that 'with chips' is a London centric think...

young Ed

Veteran
always porridge, or if it's a special day maybe pancakes and if i'm out somewhere and eating in the restaurant or so it's a full cooked english. although when i'm at home by my self it can be anything and everything, from last night sausage and mach to soup or sometimes just plain old porridge

now here's another one for you all, porridge for lunch. what do you all think? when i'm by my self all day i will sometimes have porridge for lunch, quick easy, plenty of energy and cheap. a great one when i need a quick lunch as i'm working on something and i need to press on
Cheers Ed

DanZac

During my military time, when on nights (midnight to midday) the superb chefs thought it acceptable to dish up the main meal if the day (roast dinners etc) at midnight and just provide breakfast at 08:00 when your body thought it should be tea time. Ok for the odd day but after 3 months it wears a bit thin.
those breakfast rules are there for a reason. Roast beef and all the trimmimgs just isn't funny when you've just woken up.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
We only limit ourselves through ignoranc, or forgetting the good stuff of yesteryear. Devilled kidneys? Kedgeree? Bloaters, smokies and kippers?

Kedgeree.....done well is my all time favourite breakfast, devilled kidneys also great and smoked haddock with poached eggs.....all great. I work at sea and we get these every week although the devilled kidneys seem to have been lost in time.....must have a word with the chefs.....

Top Bottom