Why would you move to South?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is not just a rhetorical question.
I have been living in East Midlands for last 12 years. I have good job, a home and I am quite happy here. But I am one of those people who does not want to work in the same place. I am constantly looking for other jobs, has set alert system to get notified of new jobs.
So I saw this advert for a job in Surrey. It can be considered a promotion but only in name. So I will get the same salary. I started looking for houses and realised that I can just afford a 2 bed flat if I were to sell my 4 bed house in East Midlands.
I can see that everything is expensive.
So why would anyone want to move south?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Its carp - too many people - not enough space - too many cars - not enough time - no manners etc etc

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A friend was offered a prestigious training post "dahn sarf" but even factoring in the salary increase he'd have had to downgrade from a nearly paid off 4 bed detached to (at best) a 2 bed town house with a brand new mortgage and an hours commute each way he chose not to accept the new post.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I moved from the north end of Lancashire to near Bristol, as OH has a job in Bristol.
I still love the north country, but the weather is much nicer down here. However house prices are not as high as in Surrey, and I don't know that you'll get a definite improvement in the weather.
You wouldn't catch me moving to Surrey - too expensive (as you have found out), and too crowded.
Unless you like the facilities that a big city gives you, in which case you are very close to London.

OP
OP
midliferider
I have no reason to be closer to London. I can go to anywhere in the world from Birmingham or Luton airport.
[QUOTE 4698135, member: 259"]Northampton is down south![/QUOTE]

Well, I moved here from Manchester. I used to say that I am moving to South. Then my neighbor has moved here from Surrey. His parents always remind us that they never wanted him to move North.

Katherine

Guru
It's warmer and dryer. Nothing else.

Tin Pot

Guru
The downgrade is in your salary, the same
money in Surrey is worth less.

The upgrade is in your asset class, a two bed anything in Surrey is worth more your four bed in the midlands.

You also have better opportunities. Your next job after this should be better paid than your next job in the midlands.

Surrey is quite nice.

vickster

Legendary Member
Surrey is quite nice.
Bits of Croydon aren't

I live in the South, where I grew up, where pretty my friends and family are (indeed parents moved back to Surrey a couple years ago to be close to my brother and I, we now all live within a 5 mile radius). And with the exception of one or two, it's where all the major employers in my field are.

If none of that were the case, I may not choose to be here. Traffic is awful, everything is expensive, it's overpopulated. I wouldn't move to Surrey for a minor step up the work ladder unless as above the longer term prospects are far better.

Where in Surrey is the job? It's quite a large county

midlife

Guru
All I ever wanted to do when I was 18 was to go to London. Stayed there 5 years and loved it, mind you that was 40 years ago.

No inclination to move there now.......

Shaun

Top Bottom