Why would you move to South?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But I am not looking at this entirely on financial terms. I just want to know why people pay extra to live in Surrey.

It's lovely, the countryside in the hills is fantastic, you can be in a lovely leafy village, and still be less than a couple of hours ride from London, which, love it or hate it, is a fantastic place to make money, and live a lot.

screenman

Legendary Member
What are they? Just list me please.
I have now heard about proximity to London and job opportunities in certain sectors.

Google things to do in Surrey. I do not live there but I certainly enjoy visiting often.

vickster

Legendary Member
He has left school and working while looking for apprenticeships in sales/ marketing/accounts to higher qualifications.
Bear in mind Leatherhead and Epsom are outside the London travel zones so thus any travel into London in rush hour will cost several thousand pounds a year for a pretty slow and packed service

screenman

Legendary Member
...and another thing......why on Earth do people up north pay good money for a load of bubbles on their beer....?

Because, they are certainly not going to let you have those bubbles for free.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Because, they are certainly not going to let you have those bubbles for free.
I was in Harrogate last week and went to a pub with a local. He explained that the city was very prosperous because "we're careful with money round here". The irony of the expensive foam on his pint was completely lost on him.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
It's lovely, the countryside in the hills is fantastic, you can be in a lovely leafy village, and still be less than a couple of hours ride from London, which, love it or hate it, is a fantastic place to make money, and live a lot.
Hills? Surrey?
Eh, lad, you dunno wot 'ills are if yer think Surrey 'as 'ills!

Seriously - try looking for jobs in/near Bristol. Lots going on in Bristol (I'm a miserable bugger so I don't use the city's facilities), and from where I live (about 10 miles north) I can do a ride in the Forest of Dean, a ride through beautiful Cotswold villages, I've even cycled into Wiltshire, past the Avebury stone circle etc. Not too far to drive to get into Wales for a weekend, etc.

Mind you, if I could fix the weather and kill the sodding midges, my choice of a place to live would be Scotland. (I'd have to get OH to retire as well....)

PK99

Legendary Member
What sort of things do you like to do? Closeby Epsom has a theatre and cinema, as does Dorking. Leatherhead has a decent leisure centre. There's plenty of green space but the roads around it are busy especially in rush hour and at weekends

but you can get away from the traffic very quickly - traffic free route to Dorking and back roads via fetcham up to the top of Ranmore, and from both the surrey Hills are a cyclists playground.

OP
OP
midliferider
Bear in mind Leatherhead and Epsom are outside the London travel zones so thus any travel into London in rush hour will cost several thousand pounds a year for a pretty slow and packed service

Couple of years ago, a friend who had never gone beyond M25 came to see me from London by train. The first thing she asked me was whether there is any problem because there are very few people around and place look very quite.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I lived in Harlow for a time. We had a works conference in a hotel a few miles outside a nearby town (I forget which one). One of my colleagues who lived in London and commuted out to Harlow by train commented on how spooky it was driving for miles through the deserted countryside, miles from anywhere (must have been at least 3 miles from the nearest High Street!).

In my head.... just try driving across Rannoch Moor when the snow is already 6" deep and still falling... you total and utter wuss!

vickster

Legendary Member
but you can get away from the traffic very quickly - traffic free route to Dorking and back roads via fetcham up to the top of Ranmore, and from both the surrey Hills are a cyclists playground.
Many roads are still pretty busy with traffic especially at weekends, certainly compared to the 'proper' countryside where you might barely see a car. Depends what the OP is used to. Motorists also seem to be becoming less enamoured with cyclists in the Surrey Hills as cycling increases in popularity and more cyclists use as a playground :sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom