Whyte Stirling overhaul

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
^^^ this, and greater risk with a narrow chain, like the OP's 10sp. "Years ago" chains were wider and "joining the chain conventionally" by pushing the pin back in was much easier to get right (greater tolerances).

OP
OP
A

ashley348

Well thanks guy's, I've finally finished sorting out my Whyte!!! Couldn't have done it without your help. I reused the old cassette, after breaking it down and cleaning it there seemed to be very little wear, time will tell I guess.

The chain was only £12 so not a massive risk, seems to be working well. I will at some point treat it to a new rear wheel however, the hub sounds a little rough when spun fast, it's also a bit buckled.

Attachments

• 20210512_172147.jpg
    20210512_172147.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
A

ashley348

OK, so having just taken it for a spin it would seem all isn't well. It's fine in the upper 6-7 gears, but the bottom three seem to be slipping. The derailleur seems to be adjusted ok too. I assume this means my cassette is worn after all?

Attachments

• 20210512_202127.jpg
    20210512_202127.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210512_202054.jpg
    20210512_202054.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 5

Ajax Bay

Guru
Slipping: First thing to check is: is your mech hanger vertical/aligned with the plane of the bike?
When you put power down eg up a gentle hill, can you get it to slip/jump in (one of) the middle sprockets as well? If so you probaly have a cassette which has been worn by the last chain to an extent that a new chain complains. Two solutions: put old chain back on, or replace cassette. (You can't tell be visual inspection whether a cassette/sprocket is worn.)
Chain length: Put chain in large/large. To what "o'clock" does the mech cage point?
PS Disturbed to see your bike apparently upside down.

OP
OP
A

ashley348

Slipping: First thing to check is: is your mech hanger vertical/aligned with the plane of the bike?
When you put power down eg up a gentle hill, can you get it to slip/jump in (one of) the middle sprockets as well? If so you probaly have a cassette which has been worn by the last chain to an extent that a new chain complains. Two solutions: put old chain back on, or replace cassette. (You can't tell be visual inspection whether a cassette/sprocket is worn.)
Chain length: Put chain in large/large. To what "o'clock" does the mech cage point?
It only seems to slip in the bottom 3, which have seen more use I think. TBH this is probably my fault for ignoring the advice given eailer to replace the cassette too. Does this photo give any useful info? Cheers

Attachments

• 20210512_215113.jpg
    20210512_215113.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
A

ashley348

It only seems to slip in the bottom 3, which have seen more use I think. TBH this is probably my fault for ignoring the advice given eailer to replace the cassette too. Does this photo give any useful info? Cheers
Small on small, I think the length looks ok?

Attachments

• 20210512_222914.jpg
    20210512_222914.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 3

Ajax Bay

Guru
The chain is not too long. If anything (and note for next time) I'd make it one (inch) link longer.
If you tend to use the smaller sprockets (assume flatland riding and fast) then the symptoms described are new chain on worn cassette. Likely the old chain was more than 0.6% elongated. New cassette time and in the meantime, don't put power down on the smaller sprockets.

OP
OP
A

ashley348

10 o'clock by the look of things.

OP
OP
A

ashley348

The chain is not too long. If anything (and note for next time) I'd make it one (inch) link longer.
If you tend to use the smaller sprockets (assume flatland riding and fast) then the symptoms described are new chain on worn cassette. Likely the old chain was more than 0.6% elongated. New cassette time and in the meantime, don't put power down on the smaller sprockets.
Thanks, I'll buy a new cassette, do you think I'll get away with the chain being that length?

Ajax Bay

Guru
10 o'clock by the look of things.
Do you ride your bike upside down?
Now the chain is cut that length, I'd use it. But it is 'only just' long enough. Cassette needs to be the same speed as your shifters. The largest sprocket MUST not have more teeth that the current one (or you must make the chain longer). Shimano cassettes have a good reputation.

OP
OP
A

ashley348

Now the chain is cut that length, I'd use it. But it is 'only just' long enough. Cassette needs to be the same speed as your shifters. The largest sprocket MUST not have more teeth that the current one (or you must make the chain longer). Shimano cassettes have a good reputation.
I turn it upside-down to work on!!😃 ok, I've ordered one with the same number of teeth, won't be here for some time though, seems to be a shortage of parts at the moment. Good to here, TBH I've always liked Shimano, my bikes are fitted with Sram, not so sure about them.

OP
OP
A

ashley348

It's upside-down so I can work on it!😃 It's 3 links longer than the last one, which must have been far too short! Cheers, TBH I think I prefer Shimano to SRAM, or is that opening a massive can of worms?

Top Bottom