Wide 700c tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Percy

Hi all

Have thus far toured on around 700x32 tyres and am looking at gearing the bike up again this year. Had some problems with wheels/tyres on a long trip a few years ago - one major problem with the hub (it broke) and also some recurring problems with tyres. I found it hard to get the thin tyres up to a decent psi by the side of the road and as a result the walls would wear down and pop (perhaps this is where I get recommnedations for a decent pump?!).

Looking at options now, before I go away again, and looking at a much wider tyre - up to 700x42. Anyone used them? Comments? Recommendations?

Incidentally, I've spoken to the guy who build my rear wheel before I went away before (Paul Hewitt) and he thinks part of the problem was the rim I was using - Sun Rhyno, chosen for its strength - didn't have enough flexibility in it, causing the hub to take all the strain and shatter. He's recommended a different rim and wider tyres. I thought initially I might be looking at a 26" machine but Paul seemed unconvinced it would solve the problem. I don't want to go over the whole 700 vs 26 debate again (I expect it's been done enought times!) but any thoughts on the wheel/rim issue would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Percy

OP
OP
P

Percy

Hi all

Have thus far toured on around 700x32 tyres and am looking at gearing the bike up again this year. Had some problems with wheels/tyres on a long trip a few years ago - one major problem with the hub (it broke) and also some recurring problems with tyres. I found it hard to get the thin tyres up to a decent psi by the side of the road and as a result the walls would wear down and pop (perhaps this is where I get recommnedations for a decent pump?!).

Looking at options now, before I go away again, and looking at a much wider tyre - up to 700x42. Anyone used them? Comments? Recommendations?

Incidentally, I've spoken to the guy who build my rear wheel before I went away before (Paul Hewitt) and he thinks part of the problem was the rim I was using - Sun Rhyno, chosen for its strength - didn't have enough flexibility in it, causing the hub to take all the strain and shatter. He's recommended a different rim and wider tyres. I thought initially I might be looking at a 26" machine but Paul seemed unconvinced it would solve the problem. I don't want to go over the whole 700 vs 26 debate again (I expect it's been done enought times!) but any thoughts on the wheel/rim issue would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Percy

I have a semi slick Duro 700X42 on the rear wheel of my Hybrid and have done around 1500 miles on it since it was bought and fitted last autumn. It's an El-cheapo at £15, but when it was bought it was a means to an end; I had picked up a flint and ruined the original tyre and tube less than 1 mile from the LBS that it was purchased from. As a cheap general duty tyre it's performance is OK. At first, even though it had been inflated to the recommended max of 65 PSI it was a little skittish in the turns until it had worn in. The ride is better than the original 700X35 that the bike was supplied with, especially when laden with panniers and trailer.

I have a semi slick Duro 700X42 on the rear wheel of my Hybrid and have done around 1500 miles on it since it was bought and fitted last autumn. It's an El-cheapo at £15, but when it was bought it was a means to an end; I had picked up a flint and ruined the original tyre and tube less than 1 mile from the LBS that it was purchased from. As a cheap general duty tyre it's performance is OK. At first, even though it had been inflated to the recommended max of 65 PSI it was a little skittish in the turns until it had worn in. The ride is better than the original 700X35 that the bike was supplied with, especially when laden with panniers and trailer.

jay clock

Massive member
a bit off to one side of what you are asking, but some modern pumps allow me easily (ish) to get up to maximum stated pressure. They are the type that allow you to use the pump as a foot pump. Mine are a Decathlon Clever 700 (they do a few similar models) and a Topeak Road Morph. I also take Presta to Shrader adapter and use a garage airline to get to the max easily

jay clock

Massive member
a bit off to one side of what you are asking, but some modern pumps allow me easily (ish) to get up to maximum stated pressure. They are the type that allow you to use the pump as a foot pump. Mine are a Decathlon Clever 700 (they do a few similar models) and a Topeak Road Morph. I also take Presta to Shrader adapter and use a garage airline to get to the max easily

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I have the Mavic A719 rim on two bikes, Mavic rate this for 28-47mm tyres, have had no problems with these. Ones I'm going to try for the 29er are Rigida Sputniks, same dimensions as the A719's but rated for 28-60mm tyres. Spa cycles do some very good deals on Rigida wheelsets, for example, 700c, black or silver, 36h, LX hubs £146 for the pair.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s179p0

The Mavic rim is lighter but costs more than double, they both have double eyelets etc.

MacB

I have the Mavic A719 rim on two bikes, Mavic rate this for 28-47mm tyres, have had no problems with these. Ones I'm going to try for the 29er are Rigida Sputniks, same dimensions as the A719's but rated for 28-60mm tyres. Spa cycles do some very good deals on Rigida wheelsets, for example, 700c, black or silver, 36h, LX hubs £146 for the pair.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s179p0

The Mavic rim is lighter but costs more than double, they both have double eyelets etc.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Another vote for Topeak Mini Morph. I can get up to 100 psi without too much sweat on 700 x 23s.
My tourer has 700 x 38s and I haven't had an issue with them. They're Conti something or other, very comfortable and still looking good after circa 3,500m:wacko:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Another vote for Topeak Mini Morph. I can get up to 100 psi without too much sweat on 700 x 23s.
My tourer has 700 x 38s and I haven't had an issue with them. They're Conti something or other, very comfortable and still looking good after circa 3,500m:wacko:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Must say, if Paul Hewitt thinks the rim was the issue I'd believe him. The guy has a very good rep. That said, if he built the wheel he should have known that the rim would be an issue, presumably?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Must say, if Paul Hewitt thinks the rim was the issue I'd believe him. The guy has a very good rep. That said, if he built the wheel he should have known that the rim would be an issue, presumably?

andym

Über Member
I've heard that theory about Sun Rhino rims - though I'm not expert enough to judge how valid it is. Could have just been a duff hub.

I have a pair of 700c wheels built by Spa Cycles using Shimano XT hubs and Rigida Sputniks and I'm very happy with them (still going strong after more than a couple of thousand miles on and off-road) so I'd definitely second MacB's recommendation.

And another recommendation for ToPeak Morph pumps - mine's modestly called a Turbo Masterblaster.

EDIT: Oh yes I forgot - tyres. I really like 38c Continental Sport Contacts as a general-purpose tyre. If you're going for a really long tour and durability is an issue then maybe Marathon XRs.

andym

Über Member
I've heard that theory about Sun Rhino rims - though I'm not expert enough to judge how valid it is. Could have just been a duff hub.

I have a pair of 700c wheels built by Spa Cycles using Shimano XT hubs and Rigida Sputniks and I'm very happy with them (still going strong after more than a couple of thousand miles on and off-road) so I'd definitely second MacB's recommendation.

And another recommendation for ToPeak Morph pumps - mine's modestly called a Turbo Masterblaster.

EDIT: Oh yes I forgot - tyres. I really like 38c Continental Sport Contacts as a general-purpose tyre. If you're going for a really long tour and durability is an issue then maybe Marathon XRs.

MacB

and another for the road Morph pump, re tyres themselves I've limited experience. But I've been looking keenly at the Marathon Supreme as a contender.

Top Bottom