Wife is really having fun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Well my wife has really been enjoying her new bike. It only took me 36 years of marriage to get her into this great activity. This past week she hit a new milestone and did 51 miles for the week. We've made little adjustment along the way and can see her improve with every ride.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78pnEMlM9cA

Well done Mrs Z :okay:

postman

Legendary Member
Well done Mrs Z from me also.Just a little observation not clear what type of footwear you had on.But a good pair of shoes espesh on the trails.will give protection.

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
Well done Mrs Z from me also.Just a little observation not clear what type of footwear you had on.But a good pair of shoes espesh on the trails.will give protection.

I noticed she wasn't wearing her regular footwear about a mile into the ride, and already told her to not wear those again. She did realize it was a bad choose a few miles in, she's learning little steps.

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
We've always liked to go on little hikes together, and she has seen me move from 100% road riding to almost 50/50 split with the trails the last few years. I'm always talking about how much fun I have playing out in the woods and I've taken plenty of other out on the trails. So late last year she asked if she could join me to see if it was something she would like. I adjusted my fat bike to all it's lowest points and still a tad to big but she tried it and had fun. I then took her to the bike shop during the winter and picked up a bike and we have been slowly dialing it in. She's feeling better, getting stronger, and having fun, and that's what its all about.

Nice move with the women specific saddle. I have bud expecting their wives to ride with us. We're riding road bikes and my buds expect their wives to keep up on Walmart Huffy bikes and wearing Levi cut off shorts, and tennis shoes.

I made it nice for my wife to try riding twenty something years ago. I have always bought her better shorts, saddle, tires, and now bikes. She rides a $3000 carbon bike while I ride a $1000 aluminum bike. Her shorts are more expensive than mine, her saddles, etc. Her bike is Ultegra/Dura Ace while mine is Ultegra/105.

It worked, she's still riding 24 years later.

Your wife seems to be rolling along pretty good!

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
Nice move with the women specific saddle. I have bud expecting their wives to ride with us. We're riding road bikes and my buds expect their wives to keep up on Walmart Huffy bikes and wearing Levi cut off shorts, and tennis shoes.

I made it nice for my wife to try riding twenty something years ago. I have always bought her better shorts, saddle, tires, and now bikes. She rides a $3000 carbon bike while I ride a $1000 aluminum bike. Her shorts are more expensive than mine, her saddles, etc. Her bike is Ultegra/Dura Ace while mine is Ultegra/105.

It worked, she's still riding 24 years later.

Your wife seems to be rolling along pretty good!

When I got the bike for her I did tell her we would be making adjustments once she started to get a few rides in. Once she started going more than a couple miles on a ride, and ride several different types of trails she soon discovered a few discomfort areas. So then after getting her feedback I was able to make some minor adjustment to get her dialed in and comfortable. As you know the saddle is the big one, and one that properly fits you makes a world on difference when riding. So we went to the shop and they gave us several different woman saddles to take home and try out.
I can't complain I got a great deal on her bike. It sells for $1200 and I got it for $800 because it was last years model when I bought it new. I did add a dropper seat post because even tho the frame is an extra small it's running 27.5 wheels. My wife is pretty short and the dropper seat post just makes it easier for her to get started and stopping.

When I got the bike for her I did tell her we would be making adjustments once she started to get a few rides in. Once she started going more than a couple miles on a ride, and ride several different types of trails she soon discovered a few discomfort areas. So then after getting her feedback I was able to make some minor adjustment to get her dialed in and comfortable. As you know the saddle is the big one, and one that properly fits you makes a world on difference when riding. So we went to the shop and they gave us several different woman saddles to take home and try out.
I can't complain I got a great deal on her bike. It sells for $1200 and I got it for $800 because it was last years model when I bought it new. I did add a dropper seat post because even tho the frame is an extra small it's running 27.5 wheels. My wife is pretty short and the dropper seat post just makes it easier for her to get started and stopping.

Glad you got her a decent bike to get her going. Like I said, my buds expect their wives to ride Walmart Huffy MTB's then wonder why they didn't like riding on the road with us. :rolleyes:

Yeah, making adjustments after a few rides, I understand that. I have dialed in my bikes then realized after 40 miles, I needed to tweak stuff here and there. Once she starts getting in more miles, she'll find things that need adjustment. She'll be happy you make them for her!:dance:

How tall is she out of curiosity, Gina is 5'3.

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
Glad you got her a decent bike to get her going. Like I said, my buds expect their wives to ride Walmart Huffy MTB's then wonder why they didn't like riding on the road with us. :rolleyes:

Yeah, making adjustments after a few rides, I understand that. I have dialed in my bikes then realized after 40 miles, I needed to tweak stuff here and there. Once she starts getting in more miles, she'll find things that need adjustment. She'll be happy you make them for her!:dance:

How tall is she out of curiosity, Gina is 5'3.

She says she's 5'2" but I'm not buying that I thinks she's shrinking with age.

I would never get a box store bike for her, you get what you pay for.

:okay::okay:

My g/f (wife since 1998) used to ride MTBs in the early 90s
To this day, I'm not certain if it was to pacify me (come with me) or for her own benefit
She even raced!!!, & got a trophy one year in the 'Junior/Novice' Women category, at the end of the Yorkshire Mountain Bike Club series!!

1990s. Mountain Bike. Robin Hoods Bay. 1992. 7.jpg

She's not shown interest over the intervening years, but earlier this year, with buying a closer office, she decided to try riding there (on daughters old 'clunker') & did it for a few days
I offered to buy her a new bike, if she was going to keep it up, so I did;
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-bike-not-me-this-time-though.249770/#post-5641293

And, 2 months on, she's still riding it (barring a fortnight away, for her & daughter)
She's even told me she intends to ride in autumn/winter too!!
Joanne. 5.JPG Joanne. 6.jpg

Which makes me think...... I'll have to sort out a British Cycling membership for her, for the 3rd party liability/legal aid, I'll admit it hadn't crossed my mind:blush:
(especially as I've had it, every year since about 1992)

Last edited:
Top Bottom