wife is struggling, how to breech the ability gab?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am going to get an exercise bike for the house
Will that work?

It's a personal thing. It works for some I'm sure. If it were me, the exercise bike would become a coat rack.

A bike is a means to experience greater freedom of movement in the scenery and fresh air of the outdoors. You happen to get a workout when riding one but that's kind of secondary. The effort of pedalling is the price of that leisure in a way. On an exercise bike you still pay the same price in terms of effort expended, but that price doesn't really buy you the pleasure of being outside whizzing through the scenery

Im not trying to put you off. If it works for you, great. It works for plenty of people. But before investing in indoor kit it might be worth trying a few pay as you go gym sessions to see if it really floats your boat.

OP
OP
chrismisterx

chrismisterx

Will that work?

It's a personal thing. It works for some I'm sure. If it were me, the exercise bike would become a coat rack.

A bike is a means to experience greater freedom of movement in the scenery and fresh air of the outdoors. You happen to get a workout when riding one but that's kind of secondary. The effort of pedalling is the price of that leisure in a way. On an exercise bike you still pay the same price in terms of effort expended, but that price doesn't really buy you the pleasure of being outside whizzing through the scenery

Im not trying to put you off. If it works for you, great. It works for plenty of people. But before investing in indoor kit it might be worth trying a few pay as you go gym sessions to see if it really floats your boat.

Understand completely where your coming from, but atm we are both, how can I say it.... fatties. Just did our BMI this week before we start to plan training for this little tour in may and we are both just north of 30 BMI, so the indoor bike will just be a small stop gab to get a few miles in, between shifts and a longish outdoor ride on a weekend. Once we get xmas out the way hoping to replace the indoor bike with out door sessions, just a tool to help get us in a little better shape when the dark nights are here. I am lucky and can still do midweek rides during the day, so I hope this helps with my wifes training.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Once we get xmas out the way hoping to replace the indoor bike with out door sessions, just a tool to help get us in a little better shape when the dark nights are here. I am lucky and can still do midweek rides during the day, so I hope this helps with my wifes training.
If you get lights that meet certain requirements (search for details), it's legal to ride a bike in the dark. It's a very different view of the world and IMO quite enjoyable.

I notice her changing gears there was a clanking noise and it looked when i was side onto her that the gears where slipping and she would put the gear back into a higher one, i get the feeling she isnt 100% happy with the bike

Gear woes are a sure way to make someone hate their bike.

Thankfully it doesn't necessarily mean anything is bust, and is often pretty easy to rectify.

I seem to recall from your first post that the bikes are quite old. I presume they are not so old as to pre date indexed gears? Ie do you have levers and you have to sort of feel for the gears as you change, or do they just click into position (either by clicky levers, triggers or twist grip)?

Assuming they are indexed, as I believe has been the norm for at least 20 years now but I could be wrong, then a simple cable adjustment might be all that is needed

First thing I'd do is make sure nothing is sticking. A good clean and lube should sort that. A blast of WD40 into the gear components and chain would be my starting point. WD40 is frowned upon by some as dirt sticks to it, but I find on older parts its fine. Just wipe off the excess and let it dry off before next ride.

With everything moving nicely, next I'd want to see if all gears go in nicely when not under load. Bang it in first then lift the back wheel off the ground, select second then turn the pedals with one hand while holding the bike up with the other. Repeat one gear at a time all the way to the top, then back down again. In an ideal world, the gear changes will be smooth, almost silent, and happen within about half a revolution of the pedals.

If you find it hesitates to change, or if it makes a lot of ticking / rattling as you pedal, chances are the cable is not tensioned right. If the bike is old and hasn't been tuned for a long time, most likely the cable is slack because they stretch over time. There is often a barrel adjuster either at the shifter end on the handlebars or on the derailure itself. With a middle ish gear selected (eg 3rd or 4th), and the bike upside down, you could adjust the tension on the cable until it runs nicely.

If bottom or top gear specifically are a problem, ie if all gears go in nicely except bottom or top, then most likely the high and low limit screws need minor adjustment.

Finally if all is great in the lower gears but it gets more sluggish to change into the upper gears, then there is another screw for that, but it's generally best not to touch that unless you're prepared to fiddle quite a bit.

Cable tension would be the first thing I'd check though.

MikeG

Guru
......... WD40 is frowned upon by some as dirt sticks to it.........

That's not why it's frowned on. It's frowned on because it isn't really a lubricant. Think of it as a cleaner and moisture-repellent and you'll get a better idea of its qualities. Your advice to spray some on to gunked up or sticky gear mechanisms is spot on, but that should be followed up (once dry) with a proper lubricant.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Does the rest of the bike shrink? :smile:
Only if you wash it too often.

That's not why it's frowned on. It's frowned on because it isn't really a lubricant. Think of it as a cleaner and moisture-repellent and you'll get a better idea of its qualities. Your advice to spray some on to gunked up or sticky gear mechanisms is spot on, but that should be followed up (once dry) with a proper lubricant.
Indeed. I tend to use it on older parts. Especially on bikes that have suffered neglect for some time. Once on top of maintenence I tend to use some cheapo Teflon spray lube stuff from wilkos. It's good but I find it wears off after a week or so. I used to use WD40 for everything. I know it's not primarily a, lube but it is effective as one. Except it does readily mix with dust to form a thick gunge that needs scrubbing off, so now I only use it for the initially freeing up of stiff parts.

Nebulous

Guru
The only way to get better is to ride - lots.
For some people it needs to be sociable - with a purpose. My wife has arthritis and was very limited in what she could do. Canal towpaths / ex- railway lines worked but no inclines at all.

She got an electric bike and it has made a huge difference. We're still limited for distance because of the battery, but can go further. However I will ride round in a huge circle, simply because I can. She likes to have a purpose and to plan that. "We'll go to X and have a coffee." "I fancy going to Y then coming back via Z that road has a beauty spot and I'd like to get some photos."

I give up all ideas of performance, usually try to have her lead so I can adjust my speed to hers. Treat it as a leisure event, rather than training.

From what you're saying she feels pressured by you. Try to get her out with a ladies group. There are considerably more men than women riding and it can be a very testosterone fuelled business. It's hard for us to recognise how off-putting that is, but many women thrive in their own groups, where the dynamic can be different. Some enjoy competing with men as well though, so it isn't one size fits all.

CXRAndy

Guru
My wife is casual ad hoc cyclist. She has got fit enough to ride 40 miles. but then let it slip with commitments of life, children etc.

I built her an ebike, instantly she could ride 20 miles and at a pace to match me. After just a few rides I had to draft her on inclines to stay with her. I spec'd the bike with a big battery, so if she ever desired to ride 100 miles she could. The advantage of a big battery is that never feels like the battery will run flat.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
So my wife is losing heart some what, due to her work commitments she just doesn't get to use her bike as often as she would like.

I was getting to go out 4-5 times a week with time for a couple of long rides 3 hours plus and she only managed to get out once or twice in the last month.

We had our first longish ride together ( 16 miles ) which we took nice and slow, but she felt she was holding me back, as I never really noticed how much I had improved since I started to ride, the hills that had beaten me hands down I could just about manage to get up now and she really struggled.

They was lots of "sorry can I stop a min" and she was feeling really bad, i explained it was fine and she would improve like I am, but I think its put her off quite a bit. She feels without the time to invest she will never improve enough.

So whats the options here?

I was thinking maybe some form of indoor training, would a spinning bike for home help or even a Tandem?

We were hoping one day to travel from North shields to Moray in North Scotland to visit her parents and that was a goal for this summer, but now she is doubtful she will ever get that conditioned.

I know very little about bikes atm anyway but know nothing at all about tandems and any advice about setting up something at home for training on would be great, we want to tour the UK, so wouldn't be "racing". would a excise bike be worth the investment or should we look at a tandem?

Help me help her get her mo-jo back, would hate for her to give up at the first hurdle, took an age to try and get her to take the plunge to start with.
When you ride with the other half, you should leave your ego at home and ride at her pace. Sounds like you get a bit more time to ride than she does.Do your faster rides when your on your own,

You could slow down and make sure she enjoys the rides and go faster when you're on your own.

It's always simpler for the faster rider to slow down.
Best advice so far.

Tandems are good ( we have one) but are expensive and not all couples are tandem compatible.

IMHO E bikes should be for recreational riders who are old, infirm or incapacitated.
I am rapidly approaching this stage!

Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom