WIFI connection problem. Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can any of you offer advice? The phone i bought last week has run out of internet credit. Can i ask for more each month and obviously pay for it,or am i now tied by contract to minimal internet connection, meaning i can't get more on this phone for the duration of my contract?
Depends who you're with. Most providers will have a "boost" add-on that lets you have more data on your package. Just don't do what I did with my last Three contract where I had boosts AND an unlimited data addon. Literal waste of money and they certainly won't hurry to inform you!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
and they certainly won't hurry to inform you!

Like they didn't do when they told me about all the good things,but not about not much internet access. I told the sales waller that i wasn't clued up about phones. You'd expect help,not someone to see it as an opportunity to rip you off!

classic33

Leg End Member
Can any of you offer advice? The phone i bought last week has run out of internet credit. Can i ask for more each month and obviously pay for it,or am i now tied by contract to minimal internet connection, meaning i can't get more on this phone for the duration of my contract?
Who's your contract with?

Some will allow you to change with thirty days notice.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Who's your contract with?

Some will allow you to change with thirty days notice.
I bought the phone at Carphone Warehouse. I went back yesterday.They said i'd have to contact my internet suppliers if i want more internet credit on my phone. I won't be doing that as i'm changing from my current suppliers Sky to Shell Energy in the next week or so. They told me i can still get broadband if i'm in say a pub where i'd have to get their password, but it won't be able to access it till next month if i'm away from someone's internet connection.

vickster

Legendary Member
I bought the phone at Carphone Warehouse. I went back yesterday.They said i'd have to contact my internet suppliers if i want more internet credit on my phone. I won't be doing that as i'm changing from my current suppliers Sky to Shell Energy in the next week or so. They told me i can still get broadband if i'm in say a pub where i'd have to get their password, but it won't be able to access it till next month if i'm away from someone's internet connection.
What network is it? Vodafone, 3, EE, O2...?
The amount of data on your phone (ie what you use when you’re not on WiFi) is nothing to do with your home broadband (using wifi at home doesn’t affect your roaming data usage)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Errm, unless we are physic we have no idea what your contract says!

classic33

Leg End Member
That's what i kind of thought. When you ask 'what kind of network is it'?... i don't know.
I meant O2, EE, Vodafone, mobile phone networks. Your phone will be on one of them.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I meant O2, EE, Vodafone, mobile phone networks. Your phone will be on one of them.
My phone's a Samsung Galaxy A10,if that's any help(but probably not). I've just been down my local pub. I asked the lad behind the bar about it. He told me that he pays 50 quid a month for his phone. That's £41 more than i pay and he told me even then he has to be careful not to use up his internet usage before the month's out. So my 9 quid a month will give me very little! There was me watching you tube vids up the local park etc:rolleyes:. No wonder it didn't last long.:rolleyes: Ah well, we learn from our mistakes.

classic33

Leg End Member
Turn off "Data Transfer Over Network" until you need it. If you're not certain how, go back to the shop for help. It will save you some data usage.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Turn off "Data Transfer Over Network" until you need it. If you're not certain how, go back to the shop for help. It will save you some data usage.
It was a novelty being able to access all that internet stuff,so i obviously over did it. I'm not that bothered. At the end of the day i only got the phone because it was cheaper and obviously a lot better than buying one of those £10 a month top up, texts,calls, camera only ones i've had in the past. 9 quid a month for the same thing but more,so i'm happy with that. Plus they set me up with £17.99 a month broadband, compared to the £40 a month just for a landline and internet Sky rip off.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
That's what i kind of thought. When you ask 'what kind of network is it'?... i don't know.
It says top left on the phone screen what the network is normally (or at least somewhere in the screen)...you must know which provider you signed up to

Southernguns

My internet is through Virgin, as is my phone.
Most mornings I have the same problem.
Switch the phone on and there is no wifi.
It tells me "there may be no connection"**.
I switch the whole internet of/on to reboot and bingo....phone connects fine.
So......
Is that a phone problem?
Internet problem?
Am I likely to have a problem at the hotel when I go away in a few weeks?
**TV works fine.
Sounds like it could possibly be a channel issue. Download an app called Wifi Analyzer. You can use this to see if there are lots of other people's wifi in the area and what channels they are using (usually channel 1 or 6). If there is another wifi or lots of wifi's using the same channel or a channel next to yours then this can cause the issue you are describing. Identify what channels are free from other wifi signals or only have weak signals on them and then set your router to use one of these channels for your wifi. This link may help you do this:

https://wifiplug.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002563689-Setup-2-4-GHz-Virgin-Media-Super-Hub

Last edited:

Southernguns

Thanks. I have found that it only happens when I am in the coservatory (where we tend to live). I have also found that when it happens if I raise and point the phone towards the front room it connects.
Wife has same model phone and that is fine.
Ah, just noticed this comment. Conservatories, being made of metal, often cause wifi interference. The tv in my conservatory would be fine but as soon as i connected other devices the tv would then drop out. My works phone would hold the wifi in the conservatory but my private mobile would lose connection after a short period of use. If I connected any more than 4 devices the whole wifi would hang. I was constantly turning the wifi off and on again to keep it working. I tried using a wifi booster in the conservatory but this kept crashing and needed restarting so wasn't a workable solution. In the end I resolved the issue by purchasing a wifi access point and running a long ethernet lead from my router to the access point and putting the access point in the kitchen pointing directly at the conservatory. I have had no issues since and I did this 2 years ago.

Top Bottom