WIFI connection problem. Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm swapping internet suppliers from Sky to Shell Energy on Friday. My new suppliers sent me an email telling me that my new wireless router has been dispatched. It also says my service may be interrupted while the engineer activates the line. This to most will be seen as a simple task,but i'm worrying about it. I think that i'm supposed to connect my new router myself. Have any of you faced this daunting task and if so please reassure me that it's nothing to worry about!:unsure:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm swapping internet suppliers from Sky to Shell Energy on Friday. My new suppliers sent me an email telling me that my new wireless router has been dispatched. It also says my service may be interrupted while the engineer activates the line. This to most will be seen as a simple task,but i'm worrying about it. I think that i'm supposed to connect my new router myself. Have any of you faced this daunting task and if so please reassure me that it's nothing to worry about!:unsure:
It’s nothing to worry about. Just follow the instructions. Make sure your phone socket is accessible (where the sky router is currently plugged in)

Did you figure out who your mobile provider is yet?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just unplug and plug in. The engineer may do something down the road at the 'comms box' or he may not (remote access) and it's a simple case of changing. You may lose connection for a while.
Touch wood,i think i've done the new connection thingy ok. I don't bother reading mind blowing/numbing instructions:stop:. I just fiddle with jacks(are they still called that?)trying them in this socket and that socket till i get it right. At first i thought "right don't bother,just get the bloke in town who has the computer repairs shop to look at it for you", but no i kept calm,remembering the bits of know how i've picked up here and there and low and behold it seems to be ok...for now.:secret:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't forget to join the new new wifi with your smart phone (so no roaming data used at home)
Well, it wouldn't be 'roaming' data in the UK, but we know what you mean!

Turn off app updates over the phone data connection to avoid using up your data allowance that way. (You can set them to be over wifi only.)

I have mobile data switched off most of the time. I only enable it for quick accesses when away from a wifi connection. Weather forecasts, train/bus service info, that kind of thing. I only have a 0.5 GB monthly allowance; plenty for occasional use, but useless for anything serious.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Don't forget to join the new new wifi with your smart phone (so no roaming data used at home)
Turn off app updates over the phone data connection to avoid using up your data allowance that way. (You can set them to be over wifi only.)
So i didn't turn off my monthly data when i was in my flat watching vids etc on my phone? If so no wonder it only lasted 8 days.

vickster

Legendary Member
So i didn't turn off my monthly data when i was in my flat watching vids etc on my phone? If so no wonder it only lasted 8 days.
Yep..that'll kill your allowance super quick. Use wifi wherever or can

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yep..that'll kill your allowance super quick. Use wifi wherever or can
So every time i go in a pub etc it's best to ask for their wifi code? I feel a bit cheeky when i've done that recently. I'm ok about asking my local pub,but to just go into a pub i haven't been in before or for ages,like last night and ask for their code..... I suppose they offer free wifi as a way of attracting customers, so...

Southernguns

Please be careful using any public wifi (even ones that required a wifi code). You don't know who else is connected to the wifi and, with the right know how, it is pretty easy to connect to other peoples devices. I work in IT and cyber security and spend a large portion of my time dealing with ransom ware viruses and hacked devices. If you are going to use public wifi's consider using a vpn. There are a few good ones out there. Nord is pretty decent and cost about £80 for 3 years. Please do not enter any personal details or go into emails, cloud storage or anything that requires you to enter pin codes, passwords, usernames or addresses etc.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I received a flattened package through my letterbox the other day from Sky. They want me to return their hub. Luckily for them i'm a 'save it even though you probably won't need it again' type of person. I thought about binning it,but luckily i didn't. Imagine digging it out of my wheelie bin full of crap and having to wipe it clean.They've sent me a few letters since i ended my contract with them. They probably asked for it back in one of those letters, but i'm also a 'can't be bothered to open bumph looking letters' type of person. Anyway, i'll box it and send it back to them....in my own time. I just thought it was a plastic box to be binned. Are they worth summat i ask?

vickster

Legendary Member
I received a flattened package through my letterbox the other day from Sky. They want me to return their hub. Luckily for them i'm a 'save it even though you probably won't need it again' type of person. I thought about binning it,but luckily i didn't. Imagine digging it out of my wheelie bin full of crap and having to wipe it clean.They've sent me a few letters since i ended my contract with them. They probably asked for it back in one of those letters, but i'm also a 'can't be bothered to open bumph looking letters' type of person. Anyway, i'll box it and send it back to them....in my own time. I just thought it was a plastic box to be binned. Are they worth summat i ask?
You should recycle unwanted electronics at your local RRC (aka tip) not bin with landfill rubbish

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You should recycle unwanted electronics at your local RRC (aka tip) not bin with landfill rubbish
Oh aye, i'm going to take it 3 miles to such a place.:rolleyes: We had such a place here up till about 4 years ago when the council decided to close it and then said we should all travel a fair distance to 'correctly dispose of such items'.

Top Bottom