Wiggins down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
..personally I think if you have been knocked off your bike and have probably some pain (I bruised some ribs once and I cannot say i was the most cheerful geezer for a while) having a hord of paparazzi sitting on your hospital doorstep and at home would deserve some sort of uncivil response (they would have got more than just the finger from me) - personally I like the geezer - I can emphasise with his no nonsense down to earth style - as I am sure can the great majority of the British public - Saint Bradley - NO - Diamond Geezer -most certainly

I think there are a lot of precious people out there.

(Edit - with apologies to Mr P)

Apparently after I was knocked off I was 'rude and aggressive'*. However, to this day I remember nothing about it having suffered a severe head injury. So yeah, uncivil response is absolutely understandable to me.

*witness statement in my favour.

tigger

Über Member
Re: The whole middle finger role model shite I've seen posted here and in the media...

Sportsmen have a duty of care on the field of play. If they choose to extend it outside of this then thats their choice, but its not an obligation. For christ's sake the guys been knocked off his bike. It's a pain in the arse to him in many ways, both on a professional and personal level. If he had the inclination to make a campaign out of it and raise his profile further then I'm sure he'd have welcomed the press intrusion at the hospital. But in absense of this he had every right to tell the press to get stuffed.

In short, as far as the whole sportsman vs celebrity role model thing goes. Those who can do, those who can't preach/teach.

thom

____
Re: The whole middle finger role model s***e I've seen posted here and in the media...

Sportsmen have a duty of care on the field of play. If they choose to extend it outside of this then thats their choice, but its not an obligation. For christ's sake the guys been knocked off his bike. It's a pain in the arse to him in many ways, both on a professional and personal level. If he had the inclination to make a campaign out of it and raise his profile further then I'm sure he'd have welcomed the press intrusion at the hospital. But in absense of this he had every right to tell the press to get stuffed.

In short, as far as the whole sportsman vs celebrity role model thing goes. Those who can do, those who can't preach/teach.
Yeah, pretty much what I reckon.
If in the normal course of professional affairs he starts giving the finger to whoever then have a pop at him why not ? But ffs, he didn't ask to be knocked off his bike on his way home and be the center of a news story - give him a break and leave him to get back to his family rather than hassle him.

Crankarm

Guru
Sorry, but I just do not agree with this statement and hope it was made with tongue in cheek:

Karma - to get knocked off your bike - grow up. Just what sort of a person are you?

I'm a cyclist. I hurt, I bleed, I take offence. Just saying karma. I hope he was wearing a helmet, hi viz and had lights on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All we know was Wiggo was on his MTB to meet up with a group of other cyclists.

He can't say anything as there will be a legal case and the Solicitors would have said so also, pending any case.

He can't even tweet about it, as until his injuries are known he may sue the ass off the driver. Be bloody funny though if he tweeted he was on the MTB with an Exposure Six Pack on the bars and something else on the lid, let the press realise how well lit he could have been.... He can't.

fossyant

Also he's closed his twitter account, in a deliberate act of not wanting to be able to tweet about anything ...

He won't be able use it. Even if its bruising, tbh bruising of the ribs and connecting tissue is flipping painful, he will have his training restricted. What if there are complications and the Giro assault is compromised... Whoops big insurance claim. And that's only a few months away.

My case took over 3 years to settle after liability was admitted within 6 weeks.. And I am just an every day Joe on a bike.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I am a bit puzzled by this sort of reaction - Ive not seen in the news anywhere that he swore - was it just the finger thing - Ive only seen the twitter page - the press did not seem to report it except as an aside with his wife defending him - personally I think if you have been knocked off your bike and have probably some pain (I bruised some ribs once and I cannot say i was the most cheerful geezer for a while) having a hord of paparazzi sitting on your hospital doorstep and at home would deserve some sort of uncivil response (they would have got more than just the finger from me) - personally I like the geezer - I can emphasise with his no nonsense down to earth style - as I am sure can the great majority of the British public - Saint Bradley - NO - Diamond Geezer -most certainly

I think there are a lot of precious people out there.

(Edit - with apologies to Mr P)

...still not sure why some people were singing Wiggins' praises for sticking up his middle finger.
Whoever you are and wherever you come from, it's aggressive and rude.
And the usual excuse for sports stars' bad behaviour that it was done "in the heat of the moment" just isn't acceptable.

Ummm,I've done it in the heat of the moment,so I guess im not perfect either and I guess I get the point people are making on here.

Not praising because I agree,but sometimes it's spur of the moment thing.

Wish BW best of luck with this nasty incident.x

albion

Guru
Well the woman is summoned for driving without due care and attention.

The best result all round here is that she loses her license.
That might even help cut down car/car accidents too if people know their license is always at risk.

Alun

Guru
Well the woman is summoned for driving without due care and attention.

The best result all round here is that she loses her license.
That might even help cut down car/car accidents too if people know their license is always at risk.
Do you really think she'll lose her licence for driving without due care and attention? I think 3 points and a fine is far more likely.

fossyant

Do you really think she'll lose her licence for driving without due care and attention? I think 3 points and a fine is far more likely.

Correct. 3 points and £120 fine if lucky. That's what the guy got that I went to court for the cyclist what was knocked off.

Top Bottom