Wiggins down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Chris Peck of the CTC needs to wind his neck in and think about his words.

from the front of todays metro " such accidents are common with drivers admitting they had not seen cyclists" .

No Dhris, drivers say they haven't seen you , when what they really mean is

a) I didn't look
b) I saw you and don't care

his next comment makes sense though
" time for the police to start treating incidents of bad driving seriously and for courts to keep bad drivers off the road" I doubt it will ever happen with the ever diminishing resources the police have .

RhythMick

Über Member
"We need to break down the 'two-tribe' mentality on the roads and co-exist in harmony"

Great line from the AA guy quoted at #95 above. Hopefully this will draw similar from other motoring organisations. I've not checked but I'd be interested to know what The Times (with their high profile cycling safety campaigns etc) are saying.

Yes that gets to the heart of it for me. I read the Telegraph report this morning who are taking up the "we need safer roads for cycling" cudgels. Until they get bored at least.

I was annoyed at a quote attributed to the derived though ... "Of all the cyclist to hit, it had to be bloody Bradley Wiggins!" So it's ok to hit others ?

Perhaps with Wiggo and Shane both downed me might actually get some improvement in infrastructure, attitudes and policing.

RhythMick

Über Member
Or raise the perception of cycling as dangerous?? I fear much of the reporting has probably made the idea of road cycling more scary for most people. It was good to hear Chris Boardman injecting a bit of perspective into the debate on PM this evening. He was reiterating points he'd made back in September (fast forward to around 2:15 to avoid scaremongering report):

Top man.

Brilliant job Chris Boardman. Run for PM ...

gavintc

Guru
Perhaps this is karma for voicing his crap thoughts on cycling safety just after winning his final gold at the Olympics. He does seem to be a bit of an idiot sticking his middle finger, whether it was the injured one or not, up to the paparazi. What a good image from the UK's top cyclist, not.

Sorry, but I just do not agree with this statement and hope it was made with tongue in cheek:

Karma - to get knocked off your bike - grow up. Just what sort of a person are you?

davefb

Guru
Chris Peck of the CTC needs to wind his neck in and think about his words.

from the front of todays metro " such accidents are common with drivers admitting they had not seen cyclists" .

No Dhris, drivers say they haven't seen you , when what they really mean is

a) I didn't look
b) I saw you and don't care

his next comment makes sense though
" time for the police to start treating incidents of bad driving seriously and for courts to keep bad drivers off the road" I doubt it will ever happen with the ever diminishing resources the police have .
no it doesnt it means they didn't look properly
see http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

though I still think, people see you and think they can get out giving the other people enough time to stop, which they judge on their own stopping speed... which is why people pull out in front of hgv as well as cycles..

subaqua

What’s the point
no it doesnt it means they didn't look properly
see http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

though I still think, people see you and think they can get out giving the other people enough time to stop, which they judge on their own stopping speed... which is why people pull out in front of hgv as well as cycles..

i think you will see i said "they didn't look" not " they didn't look properly" . there is a huge difference. one twonk pulled out of a side road onto cable street on me yesterday he didn't even turn his head , just pulled out. am damn glad i have properly adjusted brakes and cover the levers. they could call me "the cat" the speed reflexes went !!

davefb

Guru
i think you will see i said "they didn't look" not " they didn't look properly" . there is a huge difference. one twonk pulled out of a side road onto cable street on me yesterday he didn't even turn his head , just pulled out. am damn glad i have properly adjusted brakes and cover the levers. they could call me "the cat" the speed reflexes went !!

so that could have been a car or hgv?

i don't think a lot is down to singling out cyclists with this ( apart from being harder to see)... its just of course cyclists dont have crumple zones :sad:

dragon72

Guru
...still not sure why some people were singing Wiggins' praises for sticking up his middle finger.
Whoever you are and wherever you come from, it's aggressive and rude.
And the usual excuse for sports stars' bad behaviour that it was done "in the heat of the moment" just isn't acceptable.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
...still not sure why some people were singing Wiggins' praises for sticking up his middle finger.
Whoever you are and wherever you come from, it's aggressive and rude.
And the usual excuse for sports stars' bad behaviour that it was done "in the heat of the moment" just isn't acceptable.

I agree,I was disappointed that a major cycling celeb that I actually did like did that.

I agree,I was disappointed that a major cycling celeb that I actually did like did that.

I am a bit puzzled by this sort of reaction - Ive not seen in the news anywhere that he swore - was it just the finger thing - Ive only seen the twitter page - the press did not seem to report it except as an aside with his wife defending him - personally I think if you have been knocked off your bike and have probably some pain (I bruised some ribs once and I cannot say i was the most cheerful geezer for a while) having a hord of paparazzi sitting on your hospital doorstep and at home would deserve some sort of uncivil response (they would have got more than just the finger from me) - personally I like the geezer - I can emphasise with his no nonsense down to earth style - as I am sure can the great majority of the British public - Saint Bradley - NO - Diamond Geezer -most certainly

I think there are a lot of precious people out there.

(Edit - with apologies to Mr P)

Top Bottom