Wightlink Isle of Wight Ferry

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Booked a ticket for the ferry for February next year, yeah I know it's a long way off but have to have something to get me through the end of December. Anyway the issue potentially is that the car is restricted to 5m, as we'll probably be taking the dog, we'll have to go in the wife's car, it's 4.6M long. But with the towbar rack on the back it's going to be around 5.3-5.4M will they allow that? I could get a roof mount, but then we have the issue that it would be too tall & TBH I don't fancy lifting 24KG bike above my head. Will they allow you to take the bike on separately, I've asked the question of them via their website bu have yet to hear back.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Bikes go free, but one of you will need to be a foot passenger to get on

Adam4868

Guru
I very much doubt they'll bother.Been on loads of boats and ferries with bikes on the back and never been pulled up about it.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I very much doubt they'll bother.Been on loads of boats and ferries with bikes on the back and never been pulled up about it.
I like your optimism, but as the rack would take the car over the 5M threshold I suspect they would want to charge us extra.

Adam4868

Guru
I like your optimism, but as the rack would take the car over the 5M threshold I suspect they would want to charge us extra.
If it was me id risk it...ive took bikes before on rear of a car when I hadnt even booked them.But sods law if you do youll come back and say "I told you theyd charge me !" It wouldnt be a lot over 5m would it anyway ?

Adam4868

Guru
Could you not pay for the correct size.
Or rent a mini ?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

vickster

Legendary Member
Would the dog be so resistant to the smaller car if you take the longer car and put the bikes in the boot with pooch? ;)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

The smaller car isn't really an option, it's a Volvo C30 & although theoretically a hatchback it's only a glass opening at the back with a very high threshold so she couldn't jump in there. The larger car is a Rav4, so maybe take out the front wheel, drop one of the rear seats & see if it will fit inside, or just rock up & see what happens, or do the sensible thing & pay the extra £25. It just seems expensive, £400 for a cottage for a week & then £175 to get on & off the island.

Adam4868

Guru
The smaller car isn't really an option, it's a Volvo C30 & although theoretically a hatchback it's only a glass opening at the back with a very high threshold so she couldn't jump in there. The larger car is a Rav4, so maybe take out the front wheel, drop one of the rear seats & see if it will fit inside, or just rock up & see what happens, or do the sensible thing & pay the extra £25. It just seems expensive, £400 for a cottage for a week & then £175 to get on & off the island.
Looking at it that way 25 quids not so bad,like I say if it was me I'd just risk it.Ive never had a problem on ferry's.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The Isle of Wight ferry has always been expensive compared to channel crossings. I have no idea how to run a profitable ferry service, but I guess it is because the boats are smaller with less commercial vehicles.

The woolwich ferry is free, funded by TFL, I wonder how much Hampshire council subsidies the service?

Skibird

Couldn't the company you booked the cottage through not get you a good deal? Before we moved to the IOW, we holidayed here 2-3 times per year and I think the ferry cost was something like £79 every time, booked with the cottage. £175 seems VERY excessive to me as other half has a van, and used to go back & forth to the mainland every week, and even booking at short notice, NEVER paid anything like that amount.

Top Bottom