Wightlink Isle of Wight Ferry

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Ferry's can be expensive ! I've paid some shocking prices to get to and from Ireland and France.Takes a bit of digging sometimes.Freight ferries where you can get them are sometimes a better option.We use the one from Heysham to Ireland quite a bit.I like the overnight ones.Good food aswell.Sorry to derail the thread,bite the bullet and pay the 25,you'll sleep easier.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The Isle of Wight ferry has always been expensive compared to channel crossings. I have no idea how to run a profitable ferry service, but I guess it is because the boats are smaller with less commercial vehicles.

The woolwich ferry is free, funded by TFL, I wonder how much Hampshire council subsidies the service?
At one point the solent was the most expensive bit of water in the world to cross. Probably still is, and I doubt whether Hampshire CC give much subsidy to Wight Link or Red Funnel ferries.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Do you think some jobsworth will get a tape measure out then?

Only an anecdote but.....

Way back in 1966 cars were charged by the foot. British Rail ferries at Lymington had a catalogue of all the common products from Ford, BMC etc and no doubt the VW Beetle and Fiat 500 too. But my Dad's company had given him a Simca 1500 estate, one of only a handful in UK.

Loading staff produced a tape measure....

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
I used to use the Irish Sea ferries a lot when I lived over in Ireland. So expensive! I had a Toyota HiLux twin cab for a while. Irish Ferries would sometimes let me through, sometimes get the tape measure out and charge me extra - usually £80-100 or so.
Stena Line were usually fine but once wanted me to pay on the spot freight rates as I was carrying a commercial machine in the back of the pickup for work.
Think it depends on who you get on the gates and what mood they’re in but for £25 I wouldn’t risk it - I reckon it’ll be more if you get stopped and measured before boarding.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Think it depends on who you get on the gates and what mood they’re in but for £25 I wouldn’t risk it - I reckon it’ll be more if you get stopped and measured before boarding.
I had thought I had updated this but clearly not, in the end I decided it wasn't worth the risk, £25 up front or who knows how much on the day so I paid the extra, trivial as it was, I can see me getting anxiety on the drive down about it.

Sharky

Guru
The woolwich ferry is free, funded by TFL, I wonder how much Hampshire council subsidies the service?
I had a ride on the Woolwich ferry. It was a special day and free, put on by the Woolwich Ferry for the benefit of autistic children and their families. They took us up Thames, under Tower Bridge and did a couple of 360 turns in the Port of London, before heading back to Woolwich.

A day I'll always remember.

Top Bottom