Wild Camping in Scotland (and lake district)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martinwhprice

Hi all,
I've trounced around the archives and haven't been able to find exactly what I'm after anywhere else....

I'm after your advise on where I can wild camp in the following area; how acceptable it is there, which are the best places, how much opportunity there is to wild camp there, etc.

These places are:
- Moffat
- Luss/Millarochy
- Oban
- Glencoe
- Lochailort
- Kendal (lake district)

Basically some of my friends are travelling by caravan and staying at sites around here. As I'm cycling, I'll wild camp where possible, but not want to stray too far from them (after all, I'll be seeing them for frequent showers and cooked meals!)

SECONDLY - if anyone happens to have any great cycle routes around these areas, then please do share.

Cheers,

Martin

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Basically you can wild camp anywhere in Scotland. Within reason of course - folk would object to you camping in their front gardens. I have no intimate knowledge of the Scottish places but you will have to ride out of town to find quiet, out of site places to pitch your tent.

As for Kendal there's a great Camping and Caravan Club camp site that is comfortable, cheap and is a few minutes ride from pubs and a chip shop I'd not bother trying to wild camp there.

snorri

Legendary Member
I can't see any problems at the Scottish locations you have listed except Millarrochy area which is tending towards urban fringe and could be quite busy in tourist season.

OP
OP
M

martinwhprice

Basically you can wild camp anywhere in Scotland. Within reason of course - folk would object to you camping in their front gardens. I have no intimate knowledge of the Scottish places but you will have to ride out of town to find quiet, out of site places to pitch your tent.

As for Kendal there's a great Camping and Caravan Club camp site that is comfortable, cheap and is a few minutes ride from pubs and a chip shop I'd not bother trying to wild camp there.

Ah that's good to know about Scotland! What about the national parks - do they have restrictions?

And re Kendal - I'm in the lakes for 3 nights, so it's a touch over £20 for the campsite - not a huge amount I know but I'll have just spent a few days at Edinburgh festival! Money could well be an issue, so if there are places to wild camp it may well be where I end up...

Thanks!

seashaker

as far as I am aware there is no legal right to camp in England as there is in Scotland although I know a fair few people who do so without any trouble. As long as you are out the way and out of site you should be fine. Not sure about and camping areas in Kendal but if you get to Wasdale, there is a great national trust site http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holidays/camping/camping-in-the-lake-district/wasdale/ and when I was there last year there were loads of cycle people around

snorri

Legendary Member
Ah that's good to know about Scotland! What about the national parks - do they have restrictions?

Parks, I didn't think of them. There have been problems in recent years with anti-social behaviour in the Loch Lomond area, (urban fringe) so they have brought in restrictions.

Full details here....
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/out-and-about/recreation-activities/wild-camping/

Regarding Edinburgh, the Festival is fun but getting accommodation will not be easy, especially as you say "money is an issue". I would recommend you to do some research now if you really want to stay in or around Edinburgh at festival time.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
nope I'm describing wild camping which is illegal England (below cetain altitudes I believe...but don't quote me).

But I guess stealth camping is just illegal wild camping without getting caught, so we are probably describing the same thing.

rollinstok

I think it is legal to camp wild in the Lake District NP as long as you are above 1,000ft altitude ( not much use for Kendal but maybe Shap on the way )

sam_g

Regular
Are you planning to pitch up for 3 days or are you willing to tent up and down each eve/morn?

The area that Chrtho linked to, Scout Scar, is probably one of your best bets in Kendal, possibly from the other side though. Otherwise, the Helme near Oxenholme is viable. TBH, it honestly would surprise me if anybody questioned you setting up camp in one of the parks in town, probably not the best bet though.

stumpy66

Veteran
When i was doing my tour of the west coast islands and mainland, we camped in few pub gardens, thye were quite obliging when we said we would have couple of pints. Just ask nicely :smile:

toroddf

Just some practical details.

Yes it is legal, but there are hardly any space left to pitch up tents at Luss/Millarochy. All space are taken up by roads, golf courses etc etc etc
I believe there are some really good wildcamp sites 10 miles up the road next to Loch Lomond on the cycle path. Yes, it actually is some really good wild camp sites when going past Inverbeg and on the old road along Loch Lomond, now an excellent cycle path. A bath in Loch Lomond and fantastic scenery.

Oban = take the A 816 road south of Oban a couple of miles or three = you will probably find the best wild camping sites you have ever been to.
Glencoe is an absolute hellhole when it comes to midges, but has some fantastic wild camp places at the old disused visitor centre. Some midges will meet you there......

And here is the beef. Or rather the harsh midge taxation rate. A tax you have to pay to the local midges. So bring plenty of protection if wild camping in Scotland.

Top Bottom