Wild camping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
The midges have other ideas! And it is of course banned in some areas, e.g. Loch Lomond National Park area.
Wild camping is something I have never done. I do like to have a cludgie to sit on when nature demands, and a shower to start my day :smile:.

Yeah, I can't argue with that, but come March or April, I'll probably head over to Rothesay for a night to try out all the gear before having a go at anything a little more grandiose.

Also, the i knew about the ban in our national park, but I've also seen both the police and the park Boys turn a blind eye to quite a bit, it's the wee news that get chased. Might sound a bit snobbish, but I can live with that.

rualexander

Legendary Member
And it is of course banned in some areas, e.g. Loch Lomond National Park area.

More restricted than banned, and only in a few 'honeypot' areas between March and September.
The vast majority of Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park has no restrictions on responsible 'wild' camping at any time of year.

Psamathe

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64238116

Now banned in England (for the time being).

But to be honest I'm not surprised. What may have been a guilty pleasure/secret for many decades and carried out by a covert few, is now a fashionable weekend pastime and doubtless conducted by many who have no/little respect for the property of others, the beauty of the countryside or any desire to protect the delicate environment. Covid didn't help, with bored/frustrated masses suddenly awakening to a 'need' to get outside which led to a sudden, overwhelming and invasive exodus into the countryside and resulted in a lot of damage due to unsustainable volumes, particularly and unimaginatively focused around the traditional tourist hotspots because people just often don't see the beauty on their doorstep (remember the Derbyshire and Lake District police imploring people not to drive into these popular areas at the time due to the problems it was causing?).

I expect with the rise in wild camping popularity and the sharing of favourite 'hidden' wildcamping spots via social media that some of these spots are in a state more akin to the aftermath of the Glastonbury festival. :sad:

If I were a landowner or tenant I know how I would be voting on the matter if I were experiencing such damage!
Reported today that the landowner who was "so concerned about conservation" has been seen to be releasing pheasants close to a wood with protection measures (protecting a rare beetle). It seems Natural England had previously warned the landowner not to release pheasants close to the NNR yet this was ignores, onbe assumes because the landowner also runs a pheasant shoot business!

Guy Shrubsole (environmental campaigner said:
“The reality is that responsible wild camping leaves no trace. The same cannot be said of the 50 million pheasants that are released by landowners into the British countryside every year.

“Now the public have had their access rights sharply curtailed. The landowner’s pheasants, meanwhile, still have a full right to roam over a national nature reserve.”

Also reported that lawyers for Dartmoor national park authority say the ecologically damaging actions by landowner could form part of an appeal against the ruling.

To me this revelation just highlights how the landowner has no real interest in conservation, just selfishly wants people off "his" land.

(report https://www.theguardian.com/environ...amping-ban-may-be-putting-rare-beetle-at-risk

Ian

Jameshow

Veteran
Reported today that the landowner who was "so concerned about conservation" has been seen to be releasing pheasants close to a wood with protection measures (protecting a rare beetle). It seems Natural England had previously warned the landowner not to release pheasants close to the NNR yet this was ignores, onbe assumes because the landowner also runs a pheasant shoot business!

Guy Shrubsole (environmental campaigner said:

Also reported that lawyers for Dartmoor national park authority say the ecologically damaging actions by landowner could form part of an appeal against the ruling.

To me this revelation just highlights how the landowner has no real interest in conservation, just selfishly wants people off "his" land.

(report https://www.theguardian.com/environ...amping-ban-may-be-putting-rare-beetle-at-risk

Ian

Slight hypocrisy one might say!!

Top Bottom