Wild camping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have camped wild on remote coastlines and in Norway where it is " everyman's right".
I dont think it will happen here. Many campers dont know how to camp or how to respect their surroundings. We dont have enough wilderness. The countryside is too owned and we have an ancient culture of ownership and little eidespread appreciation of " the commens".

I would like to see a right to roam on waterways.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I wild camp all over Europe and have never had a problem. I will be doing it again in France and England in the summer.

Jameshow

Veteran
I don't think I'd wold camp on obvs private land. To me that's trespass. Also you don't know what's in the field Bull? Pigs?! .

But common land, parks, national parks within reason, edges of roads, I think is ok.

Why if a MH can pull into layby to camp why can't we not pull over pitch a tent and get some shut eye.

Problem is the ravers who take a 24 pack of beers music and BBQ.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I’ve wild camped over the years. Now I tend to sleep in bus shelters on longer audax. Wild bus sheltering unlikely to be banned.

I was sitting in the rather splendid bus shelter in Upchurch (Kent) eating my lunch once when a lady passing by asked me "Do you like our bus shelter?". I said that I did, very much, and carried on eating.

Her statement may have been partly civic pride (isn't our bus shelter great, I want everyone to appreciate it) but I think it was mainly disapproval (This is our bus shelter and we take a very dim view of outsiders sitting in it. Now sling yer hook). There was definitely a tone of disapproval about the way she asked.

So maybe, just maybe, you will be awoken in future by the neighbourhood bus shelter watch and asked to move on.

1673884418734.png

A local bus shelter for local people.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was sitting in the rather splendid bus shelter in Upchurch (Kent) eating my lunch once when a lady passing by asked me "Do you like our bus shelter?". I said that I did, very much, and carried on eating.

Her statement may have been partly civic pride (isn't our bus shelter great, I want everyone to appreciate it) but I think it was mainly disapproval (This is our bus shelter and we take a very dim view of outsiders sitting in it. Now sling yer hook). There was definitely a tone of disapproval about the way she asked.

So maybe, just maybe, you will be awoken in future by the neighbourhood bus shelter watch and asked to move on.

View attachment 674614
A local bus shelter for local people.

Bus Shelter = Audax Hotel....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Bus Shelter = Audax Hotel....

The one in Upchurch is 5*

Not that I've actually tried the overnight accommodation. I just used the restaurant.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64238116

Now banned in England (for the time being).

But to be honest I'm not surprised. What may have been a guilty pleasure/secret for many decades and carried out by a covert few, is now a fashionable weekend pastime and doubtless conducted by many who have no/little respect for the property of others, the beauty of the countryside or any desire to protect the delicate environment. Covid didn't help, with bored/frustrated masses suddenly awakening to a 'need' to get outside which led to a sudden, overwhelming and invasive exodus into the countryside and resulted in a lot of damage due to unsustainable volumes, particularly and unimaginatively focused around the traditional tourist hotspots because people just often don't see the beauty on their doorstep (remember the Derbyshire and Lake District police imploring people not to drive into these popular areas at the time due to the problems it was causing?).

I expect with the rise in wild camping popularity and the sharing of favourite 'hidden' wildcamping spots via social media that some of these spots are in a state more akin to the aftermath of the Glastonbury festival. :sad:

If I were a landowner or tenant I know how I would be voting on the matter if I were experiencing such damage!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64238116

Now banned in England (for the time being).

But to be honest I'm not surprised. What may have been a guilty pleasure/secret for many decades and carried out by a covert few, is now a fashionable weekend pastime and doubtless conducted by many who have no/little respect for the property of others, the beauty of the countryside or any desire to protect the delicate environment. Covid didn't help, with bored/frustrated masses suddenly awakening to a 'need' to get outside which led to a sudden, overwhelming and invasive exodus into the countryside and resulted in a lot of damage due to unsustainable volumes, particularly and unimaginatively focused around the traditional tourist hotspots because people just often don't see the beauty on their doorstep (remember the Derbyshire and Lake District police imploring people not to drive into these popular areas at the time due to the problems it was causing?).

I expect with the rise in wild camping popularity and the sharing of favourite 'hidden' wildcamping spots via social media that some of these spots are in a state more akin to the aftermath of the Glastonbury festival. :sad:

If I were a landowner or tenant I know how I would be voting on the matter if I were experiencing such damage!

And now not banned
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-64332831

Top Bottom