Will "ass savers" fit if using a Toepeak wedge bag ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
20160106_140437-jpg.115631.jpg

7-tsunami-umbrella.jpg

Tin Pot

Guru
Am I still on a bike forum?

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ass saver will also not stop your jacket from getting mucky. You need full mudguards if you want to keep the back of your jacket clean.
Thanks
TBH I don't go cycling in really filthy weather. The 'spots' I got were all at the base as you cant escape the standing water. I cant fit mudguards to the Defy carbon so am thinking ass savers (if they fit) are better than nothing.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
A Zefal Swan is what you need. Excellent piece of kit in my experience.
Review here: http://road.cc/content/review/174324-zefal-swan-road-rear-mudguard. Not sure where they got that RRP from. Currently out of stock at Tredz so £9.89 at Wiggle (plus P&P or something worth a few pence to avoid postage).
Don't bother with the matching Croozer front mudguard if you have a beefy downtube as the rubber band won't fit.
Thanks but there is absolutely no where to fit that on my Defy with the wedge bag on.

e-rider

crappy member
View attachment 115650

I've got whatever the Planet X version is called and swapped it between bikes till I put the Road Racer 2's on the road bike.
You'll see it above on the hybrid (with Topeak bag underneath) as the Crud guard doesn't quite stop spray coming up off the back wheel if it gets a bit messy. I still get muddy, but not as bad as I used to.

Simple answer - it will work up to a point, but if you like clean clothing then the only answer is full mudguards..
those bar ends look like they are on the wrong sides

Lemond

Broken hearted:ohmy:.............I went out wearing my smart new wind proof jacket and GOT SOME MUCKY SPOTS ON IT !!!
Those "ass savers" seem a good idea but looking at the web site I get the impression that they won't fit if I have a saddle bag attached.
Has anyone tried it ?
Failing that I may have to leave my jacket in the wardrobe :rolleyes:

It should all fit. Best to fit the ass saver first and then the bag. Failing that, you could pack everything thats inside your saddle bag into a spare bottle if you have two bottle cages. I tend to do that this time of year; keeps the bag clean and I don't tend to drink all that much during the colder, wetter months. Pad everything out with a cloth, some rubber gloves or an old sock, and you don't get any annoying rattles. Works a treat.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Those ass savers do a job but in no way a replacement for full guards . I keep one on my good summer bike for when it's a bit damp or get caught out with the rain. Winter you need proper guards.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
@Dave7

I use an SKS S Blade (with 35mm tyres) on my CX - I ride filthy lanes and some light, equally filthy, off road and get not a jot of said filth on my jacket.

I think the reason it works is that it can be set very close to the tyre and that helps no end with stopping the spray coming up/

Fits on and off in a few seconds too and looks much more discreet than that hideous Zefal thing.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
@Dave7

I use an SKS S Blade (with 35mm tyres) on my CX - I ride filthy lanes and some light, equally filthy, off road and get not a jot of said filth on my jacket.

I think the reason it works is that it can be set very close to the tyre and that helps no end with stopping the spray coming up/

Fits on and off in a few seconds too and looks much more discreet than that hideous Zefal thing.

Anything on the front ? Thinking for my own CX when I got my c2w through.

Mind you looking at it, I would not want to be following you :tongue:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Anything on the front ? Thinking for my own CX when I got my c2w through.

Mind you looking at it, I would not want to be following you :tongue:

@MrGrumpy

Yes - I use this. Stops usual crud from flying up although it won't stop your feet from getting sprayed.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...esvaid=50080&gclid=CK6qpYn7qcoCFUbmwgod9mQJEw

Goes on very fast with two rubber straps. Stays put and tbh it looks very discreet and I usually forget to whip it off as I forget it is there.

I think it will handle down tube cabling - as I have a CX my cables are routed on the top of my top tube.

I do kick up a bit of spray behind me but I'm an antisocial solo cyclist anyway. :laugh:

Top Bottom