Will i regret this.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have been told that the kenda tyres on my bike are more than a little rubbish ^_^ so I am thinking of changing to schwalbe. I have been told that though these are pretty bomb proof but they are really difficilt to fit. Does anyone have any advise? Should I walk away and try something a little less robust.?

I have an ebike 20x1.75 inch tyres.

Would the cheaper ones be easier to fit but just as good considering the difficulty of fitting the more expensive ones?

Ajax Bay

Guru
The 'M+' tyres will be among the top ones meeting your (inferred) spec, and way better than Kenda variety. But you're right: they are a b****r to fit, and apparently, the smaller diameter ones are a dark nightmare. But you'll only have to fit them once in their long lifetime. And their poor rolling resistance and weight are not significant factors on an e-bike (I assume).

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

Would the cheaper ones be easier to fit? It's not the money I'm bothered about, it's getting the dam things on that's the problem. ^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'd stick the Marathon or M+ on the rear wheel and wear out your existing tyres on the front, as you are more likely to get a puncture in the back wheel therefore it makes sense to have the most puncture-resistant type on the rear. I've not got any personal experience of M+, but I swear by Marathon Greenguards and I have several of them currently on my bikes, with no visits from the Fairy in over two years. I've not found them to be a nightmare to fit. They need a bit of persuasion and it helps if you've got strong hands, but I've always managed to get them on the rim without using tyre levers so far.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My experience of M+ is they are really hard to fit the first time

When new they are kind of "flat" with the beads quite a distance apart. Fitting them from new is a performance, maybe involving aids like the toe straps in the Spa video, or duck tape.

But once they've been on the wheel for a while they get less"flat" and more normal tyre shape. Still not exactly the easiest to fit, but the big first time performance is a bit of a one off.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The cheaper tyre are a lower puncture resistance version of the marathon with a thinner / less tough protective layer, they will fit a bit easier I'd think, and of course you compromise slightly on protection but it's a compromise. They're very good for that price.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Some riders also complain about the ride quality on M+, saying they are very stiff and dead feeling. Some even say the same about regular Marathons as well, although I have always found the ride quality to be perfectly acceptable, along with the fairly low rolling resistance.

Slick

Guru
There is no way round it, they are definitely much harder to fit, but as Mrs Slick has them on her ebike, I don't envisage having to take them off any time soon. (Touch wood) The trouble free cycling once they are on, mean they are worth while for me, and I know this could happen anyway round you care to mention but I've had a couple of visits from the fairy whilst out with her whilst she managed to avoid them.

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

Thanks for all your help. I went with the lesser of 2 evils in the end. As I am a dummy where tyres are concerned I didn't want something that would make me want to take a hammer to my bike, so it's the Marathon rather than the Marathon +.

They will still be better than the Kenda tyres.

Top Bottom