Will this rack fit my bike and how?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This cycle rack at Wilkos is of interest to me, but I don't think it will fit my bike. My bike has no lugs at the bottom of the frame. What do you think?
Wilko Alloy Rear Carrier Black at wilko.com
http://www.wilko.com/all-bike-parts+accessories/wilko-alloy-rear-carrier-black/invt/0344163

My bike..
20170505_141219.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
P clips round the stays?

I've used p-clips for the bottom, and bodged a top fitting with summat like this. Should work on the Wilko's rack?

Or better something like these - Halford's used to do a similar pack, but no longer

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The trouble is you haven't got any attachment points as a braze on to your frame. I.e. mudguard mounts. The holes at the bottom the Wilco rack are supposed to fix there, then you could have use the bridge mount that growingvegetables suggests. As you don't have this will limit the rigidity of the rack and therefore its weight capacity, but will still work with Ps.

It seems like there are a few 'worksrounds' for fixing these racks. The one in the ebay link has it's own brackets for the bottom stay.

Why did H.G Wells stop despairing for the human race when he saw a human being on a bicycle? Cycleops? .......Anyone?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Interesting question @night cycler. I found the quote by chance and liked it so used it as my signature. Your question prompted me to do a bit of research. Apparently he may never had said it but he was a keen cyclist. Another one of his is "Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia". Rather than go through the whole thing here is an interesting run down on Wells and cycling:

roadslogoflat.jpg
The blog
H. G. Wells loved cycling, even weaving it into a novel about military aviation
by carltonreid / on January 03, 2013 / / posted in 1890s, Bicycle shops

. G. Wells may not have said or written“When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the future of the human race” but his cycling credentials are still strong. I’vefeatured him in a number of postings and have noted that his comic novel The Wheels of Chance is a wonderfully evocative tale of the 1890s bicycle craze. It features “the famous Ripley road”; plenty of descriptions of contemporary bicycles and how even a relatively lowly draper’s clerk could now afford a dated, second-hand machine; and a great many references to the changing social mores of the day, and how women were being liberated by cycling.

But H.G. Wells, as a cyclist himself, liked to weave cycling into his other works, too. Even the prescient War in the Air, a tale written in 1907 about how aviation would be exploited by the military, has long passages featuring cycling. The book’s hero, Bert Smallways, was a cyclist who had worked in a bike shop and who had even been part of a two-man dance troupe which used a bicycle in the comic routine.

The description of the bike shop Smallways worked in – and eventually took a part share in – is comical.

Last edited:
Top Bottom