Wimbledon starts today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I think her Semi starts at 0115 BST (Fri morning!). And she's playing a Greek, which is also quite unusual in this era.
She’s only gone and won her semi.
The final is at a more watchable time on Saturday again another teenager.
She has a real chance to make history.

The sad thing is her parents are in UK because of Covid rules. I hope the authorities make an allowance.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Could be the real deal.

It appears a great deal easier for a woman tennis player to break through than a man, because there are no truly dominant players, particularly since Serena returned to mere mortal levels.

In the men's game, three players have wiped up 60 recent grand slams.

In the women's game, 60 slams might have 40 or more different winners.

Winning one is still a tremendous achievement.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Quite incredible what she has done already. Now into the final against another teenager who is "only" ranked 73 in the world. If she continues to play as she has been doing, she has every chance of winning this. C'mon EMMA!!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Could be the real deal.

It appears a great deal easier for a woman tennis player to break through than a man, because there are no truly dominant players, particularly since Serena returned to mere mortal levels.

In the men's game, three players have wiped up 60 recent grand slams.

In the women's game, 60 slams might have 40 or more different winners.

Winning one is still a tremendous achievement.
The men’s game is hopeful turning a corner too as federer and nadal seem to finally be getting old. Djokovic is difficult to like but seems to be a machine.

I agree, I don't know what it is about him but I just can't like him [Djokovic].
It doesn't matter - he's filled the gap in the fearsome foursome perfectly. Somehow world tennis has had 4 very different people slugging it out for the big wins. A script-writer couldn't have set it up so well!
(and none of them are cardboard cut-outs; take Murray, some love the heart-on-sleeve Scot, some hate his constant whining :P )

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I feel sorry for her in one way. Once the tabloids decide they have milked what they can out of her success in terms of sales they are going to turn on her with a vengence, anything they can dig up (Or make up) about her private life is going to be all over the front pages.

She will need very good advice on how to handle the crap that's going to be coming at some point.

What she has achieved in winning the final is staggering.
First ever qualifier in a major tournament to get to a final let alone winning it.
Ten matches played without dropping a set.
Well done Emma.:okay:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Raducanu is out in 2nd round.
I hope she can show that she wasn’t just a flash in the pan. She should have plenty of year’s ahead, but she hasn’t set the world on fire this season.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Raducanu is out in 2nd round.
I hope she can show that she wasn’t just a flash in the pan. She should have plenty of year’s ahead, but she hasn’t set the world on fire this season.

Garcia definitely deserved it. Hopefully Emma’s game will improve as she matures.

Watching Andy Murray and John Isner now. What a size of a guy he is!

Top Bottom