Winchester to London 100mile Ride 2nd July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
Whoops! I had the wrong setting on the course plotter so I withdraw my query (via PM) re distance. For similar reasons the above WoH lunch recommendation may be ambitious.

jay clock

Massive member
I have to disagree with Bollo. The little underpass at J9 of the M3 gives access to one of the most beautiful cycle routes I know. I cannot see your originally planned route in enough detail but it looks like you are going on the B3047 from Kings Worthy to Alresford. Nice enough, but a little busy, and quite poor tarmac. If you follow this route http://ridewithgps.com/routes/437950 then at the 2km mark (the roundabout where you turn right for Tesco) go up on the right hand pavement and head towards the M3. Zoom right into the satellite image and you can see the paths: exact route here. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/437964 This takes you through a couple of subways and then down into Easton. From there the road to Avington is simply stunning. Parkland and fields with views of Avington House - a Jane Austen style place.

Have a good ride!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
You misunderstand me Jay. You're right about the B3047 - too many blind bends, too fast anda rotten surface that gives you white finger after a couple of miles. I only use this as far as the right turn towards Easton. After that, you're back on the same route as the underpass. Although it'll be fine on a Sunday, Easton Lane isn't my favourite bit of road due to the slope and the traffic.

Either way, avoid the full B3047 - south of the Alre is the way to go.

OP
OP
D

deckertim

So far the following 14 people have expressed an interest:-

Myself
Ianrauk
Gregcollins
Frank9755
redjedi
Becs
DavyWalnuts
SittingDuck
RB58
iZap
Martin235
Paulus
RebeccaOlds
GBS

I have checked the South West Trains policy and there don't appear to be restrictions on the number of cycles, but if the train is busy we may have an issue. http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/cycle-policy.aspx Does anyone have any idea on how busy this train (07:35 arr 8.37) is likely to be? An alternative may be for some of us to get the 07:10 (arr 8.24) which involves a change at Basingstoke. Or even the (8.05 arr 9.04)

Hopefully we can also get groupsave so it should be quite cheap.

Can you please confirm whether you are coming and whether you want to use train.
I am really starting to look forward to this ride now.

Can you please confirm whether you are coming and whether you want to use train.

I'm leaning towards Yes now. And yes, I'd be using trains to get to the start. Will check to see if any of the Waterloo trains you mention passes through either E Croydon or Clapham Jcn. Oh and I have a Network Railcard if that helps the plan for GroupSave.

EDIT: this looks like the ticket for me: depart Claphan Jcn 0746, arrive Win 0848.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes, count me in.
I should't imagine that the trains would be that busy.
perhaps split the trainees into 2 some get the 7.35 dep arr 8.37 some get the 7.39 dep arr 8.48

gbs

Guru
I'll be on the train too. And will happily tag along with others to get the group save.

same for me!

SWT website says "If you're travelling in small groups you can save up to 50% with South West Trains GroupSave discount. When 3 or 4 people travel together off-peak only 2 pay."

We must get organised!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I somehow forgot to register an interest...until now! :smile: I'll be on different trains to everyone else, might well ride up to Winchester anyway..

139NI

How fast are you expecting to do this ride in??

i am considering it..

Where are people meeting up in london for it?

w

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sorry but I'm going have to pull out of this ride. I'm really struggling with feet and ankle problems and if I make the Wootton Bassett ride I think I'll then take a couple of months with few long rides. Sorry again :sad:

Top Bottom