Winchester to London (Again) 25th August 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
im out double booked with work

rb58

Enigma
Hi. I've scoured this thread and the London to Winchester prologue thread and am atempting to summarise the arrangements as follows:

Outbound (London to Winchester) - leaving HPC at Midnight Friday 24th.

Following Martint235's route here

Riders are (I think):
Martint235
rb58
Aperitif
StuAff
CharlieB
Hector
Leisurely pace, regular stops.

Inbound thread (Winchester to London) - leaving Winchester station at 9.00am Saturday 25th

Following last year's route here. (Note this route ends at Croydon which is where the peloton broke up last year)

Riders who have expressed an interest are (I think):
Martint235
rb58
StuAff
CharlieB
Davywalnuts (from Gomshall) - tbc
User10571 - tbc
PpPete - tbc
Sitting Duck - tbc
Hector - tbc
Aperitif - tbc if he can persuaded the train is a rubbish option.
Expect 14-15mph average. Lunch at Gomshall Inn probably around 1 - 1.30pm. Elevensies somewhere along the road.

Could everyone please confirm or otherwise on this thread.

Cheers
Ross

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Forgot about this ride and can't afford the train. No chance of me riding out on Friday night either, so I will have to bow out. Hope you all have a great ride though and the weather is good for you!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Confirm for the inbound leg. As I posted on Sunday, I think I'm probably better off riding up from Pompey on Saturday morning than trying to do HPC-Winchester-London straight after work.....

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Forgot about this ride and can't afford the train. No chance of me riding out on Friday night either, so I will have to bow out. Hope you all have a great ride though and the weather is good for you!

SD, I am going to leave where I am currently staying at about half 11am to meet for lunch, cycling there obviously, then follow the ride in. Would be more than welcome to join me. Its about 25 miles from Isleworth... but, as it looks hilly, ill probably be on the tourer, which, like me, is built for comfort, not speed...

So just to confirm, I am in, so will meet you at the lunch stop,(forget where) unless, I buy I new bike instead.. of which, ill let you all know...

And thanks Ross for the summary.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Okay Davy, let me have a think about it and see if I can juggle my Saturday. I will let you know if I decide to come along but as I'm skint, won't be partaking in the pub lunch thing... Could sit there with a glass of tap water and banana, I s'pose :tongue:

Will let you know! Cheers

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Okay Davy, let me have a think about it and see if I can juggle my Saturday. I will let you know if I decide to come along but as I'm skint, won't be partaking in the pub lunch thing... Could sit there with a glass of tap water and banana, I s'pose :tongue:

Will let you know! Cheers

If I dont buy the bike, we could cycle down, get drunk, on my tab, and then train it back.. hehehe. I also make it about 38miles from pub to croydon...

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Davy - you have that lovely new blue Dolan (that I covet madly). I'd have thought n+1 wouldn't have applied in your case.

Ant - I'll treat you to a drink and lunch.

Would you like a picture complete with chain marks as signage? ;). I would take her and still may, just, the map above is showing a nasty climb and decent... and I dont fancy doing a GregC.... but n+1 always applies.. :thumbsup:

PpPete

Legendary Member
If I don't make it (and I will try)

The GPX track for the return posted uphtread does follow the cycle track through the horrible A34 / M3 roundabout.
To find the start of it though....
After Halfrauds on your left take the 3rd exit at the little roundabout, as if you were turning into Tesco.
You have to go in to Tescos quite a bit further than the GPX shows and then at the first dropped kerb on your left - go onto the pavement and double back towards that little roundabout.
Follow the pavement round to right, so now you are heading north-east again (as you were all past Halfrauds) - now you cannot miss the entry to the tunnel system...

Top Bottom