Winding Cycle Paths - Thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well I for one don't mind meandering cycle paths But lets face it Pedestrians more often than not don't know which side of the path they are supposed to be using! Let alone the ones with dogs that are on extending leads. But to be fair most of the people I encounter on the paths I use are pretty good, though I do shout "Cyclist" when i'm about 15 yards away.
I have only been on one cycle path with story boards and that was over in Sussex and I did find it quite interesting I can't say I've ever come up against TT racers though can see it would be a disaster for both people traveling by foot and cyclist.
By and large If doing a training/fitness circuit Over this way there are quite a number of lanes that are quiet and some of them rarely see much traffic I consider my self lucky though there is hope that an extension to Cycle path 33 will be done which would cut out using a major bit of a main road Mostly inhabited by motorists that seem to (at times take the handlebars with them) though I'm sure thats something you have all experienced.

How about designed to travel at cycling speed?
And what would that be?

GoldenLamprey

I can't say I've ever come up against TT racers though can see it would be a disaster for both people traveling by foot and cyclist.
That's because there are hardly any on cycling paths. It's just that Skippy doesn't like to pass up on any chance of criticising anyone who does not ride exactly like him, or rides a bike made since 1957.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That's because there are hardly any on cycling paths. It's just that Skippy doesn't like to pass up on any chance of criticising anyone who does not ride exactly like him, or rides a bike made since 1957.
Unfortunately, unusual as it is, there are some and they can be a menace and a danger. Just earlier this year we had a forum member (now quit or banned maybe?) who regularly posted vids of his rides on cycle paths and shared use paths and complaining about the terrible behaviour of the other path and road users. His videos were quite shocking and caused much controversy, solely due to the appalling lack of awareness, consideration and speed restraint shown by himself. He appeared to completely unaware of the risk he posed to others and himself and even when this was unanimously pointed out still refused to accept that he was any way in the wrong.

These individuals have a massive impact on the general public because even though they are only solitary individuals they will pass hundreds if not thousands of innocent path users dangerously and it is these incidents that stick in the mind. This is why even when a reasonable cyclist like me who may ride quickly but will always slow down or stop when meeting other users and announce my approach when coming up behind with a cheery 'hello, watch your backs please' or 'excuse me, can I pass you?' can be met with utter contempt and hostility when safely approaching. It is quite saddening to see parents franticly trying to clutch their toddlers to themselves as if they are about to be mown down by the galloping hordes of hell :sad: They must have a reason to be so fearful?

GoldenLamprey

I'm sure they exist, and I condemn them too, but I would suggest there is more (numeric) danger (to cyclists, at least) from extendable dog-leads. I would much rather take my chances on the road.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
extendable dog-leads.
These dog leads are only a danger if you don't allow for them. Frustrating maybe, but not dangerous. If they frustrate you so much then ride on the roads, I do.

Top Bottom