Winding Cycle Paths - Thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoldenLamprey

I am happy to be corrected that there is zero chance that a dog on an extendable lead could get entangled in a considerate rider's bike and cause an injury in the subsequent fall.

pjd57

Veteran
After cycling the Union canal, Falkirk to Edinburgh and back I never want to ride another wiggly route again.

But heading back to Glasgow from Falkirk on the F & C canal there is a very long straight from Bonnybridge that makes you long for even a slight curve

Bike routes like roads aren't places to try and beat your best time from A to B if all concerns for others and their safety is ignored.
Fine to do it on a clear straight road or path but just because you are a master of bike control don't assume everyone is.
Dogs on long leads are a menace but I'd doubt I'd not see the danger and fail to slow or be ready to slow.

Bloke in the village has long lead 30-40 foot long not extendable. Although he normally lays it flat on the bridle path. Better I think but sometimes his dog gets to far ahead resulting in the lead become taut.
My own dog is never on lead. If a car comes along she gets into the side and sits down, useful as often the car isn't even visible so gives me a warning that car is around the corner.
Or behind me.

Last edited:
Lets face it Dogs on leads are fine on Cycle paths. It mostly the owners that need training! We always had one or two dogs ( up until a few years ago) and We never had any trouble with them getting in the way of cyclists Though around here its pretty good just one or two incidents now and again The only one cycle path that can be a little crowded in the summer is the Bristol Bath path and even then its pretty good asI find its a relaxing ride. After tackling the mendips !

Yes - NORMAL leads are fine !!! :-)

I have absolutely no idea how what would work. Happy to learn, but currently incredulous ...
Basically a rope with a clip on the end attached to the dogs collar. So unless the dog is at the furthest distance away from the handler the lead will be on the floor not taut.

Last edited:
IMG_20201211_124511_1.jpg

No cycling though. It's supposed to be an old railway line

Top Bottom