Windows 11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm sure I've asked this somewhere before, but how do you stop Edge from opening on W11 startup?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm sure I've asked this somewhere before, but how do you stop Edge from opening on W11 startup?

Make Chrome or IE your default browser?

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Make Chrome or IE your default browser?
It's MrsPete's laptop. ( Mine is too old to take W11)
She has, I think Firefox, could be Brave, I can't remember. This starts as it should as default browser, but Edge then opens, too.

Despite all the wrangling over the years, you still cannot easily uninstall the MS default browser. Only now that Edge is in place can you easily uninstall Internet Explorer!
However it CAN be uninstalled if you're prepared to use the command prompt, and then hack the registry to keep it gone. It's not a trivial exercise if you're unfamiliar with command lines and registry edits.
Instructions here, but you may need to modify them according to your particular system.

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
Ok I reinstalled windows 10 from an old USB stick. I received a new M2 SSD for Christmas & I didn’t want to ghost the drive over, as wanted a fresh install.
The windows type is Education edition & there’s no option to upgrade to win 11. Should I just use a pro product code then try to upgrade? I always thought even Education edition could be fully updated though.

Mike_P

Guru
W10 Home/Pro/Edu are all meant to be have free upgrades to W11. Try Windows Update and if its not offered tell it to Check for Updates

Milzy

Guru
W10 Home/Pro/Edu are all meant to be have free upgrades to W11. Try Windows Update and if its not offered tell it to Check for Updates
Yes it’s very weird. Maybe it will take time to come through as it’s a fresh install.

Edit: Turns out I had to change my drive out of MBR mode to PKT. All good now :smile:

Last edited:
All else being equal, it shouldn't be any slower at all. Not a great result. I was going to do a few more experiments on my SFF box, maybe I shan't bother.
I did hack 11 onto it earlier, didn't notice any lack of performance then. But I generally use desktop machines, and an i5-3470 with 8GB RAM didn't slow any that I could tell. Nice to be able to run 10 on 2007-era laptops, so I'll stick with it.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
More of a cosmetic change. I note the copy & paste function is now relegated to the 'more options'. Since its a basic function, you'd think it would be on the first right-click pane, wouldn't you?.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
More of a cosmetic change. I note the copy & paste function is now relegated to the 'more options'. Since its a basic function, you'd think it would be on the first right-click pane, wouldn't you?.
That annoyed me until I saw the faint icons at the top of that right click pane.

Mike_P

Guru
The icons are beneficial in file manager; previously the drop down list had rename next to delete and consequentially often the need to visit the recycle bin.

Top Bottom