Windy bike rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Across the fenlands on the last (fifth) day, after 1250km of LEL with strong strong side wind / head wind, I rode in echelon with two guys: one on a full on TT bike with deep section wheels, and one with more sensible wheels and clip ons. I was dead impressed with their bike handling (both of them down on the bars) as I sheltered on my steel bike, on the drops, albeit I was closest to the verge. One of the guys was (I learned later) South African Wimpie van der Merwe.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
The wind on the Isle of Grain can be quite strong. It often feels like there is something holding you back.

mote0228xxx.JPG

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

I'm just finishing off a day working under static caravan restoring chassis near Newhaven. I have got bike with me, but it's full blown gale on the coast where I am and don't know the roads well and it's getting dark fast.

Think will leave it for tonight, go for ride at crack of dawn along the coast and get a better feel for the roads first in the daylight first!

Brandane

Legendary Member
How to avoid headwinds*......
(*applies only to lazy casual cyclists who can pick and choose direction of travel).

1. Buy a place to live near a train station.
2. Wait for a suitably windy day; like today....
Screenshot (10).png

3. Place bike in train heading south.
4. Get off train; in this case at Ayr.
Screenshot (11).png

5. Ride home!

NB..... DO NOT RIDE on Monday/Tuesday this week! ...............

Screenshot (12).png

Last edited:
Top Bottom