Windy bike rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
I'm afraid that there is no way out of it.

I find sometimes instead of trying to put the power down while the wind is blowing, I just switch into an easier gear and don't worry about my speed (unless I'm going backwards). Nothing more tiring that really trying to cycle into the wind (IMO)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I don't think I ever wobble deliberately. But frequently, after a momentary deviation to avoid a pothole or similar, I find myself wondering if the next car is going to give me more space than usual. And most of the time, it does. So, food for thought.

Riding in the wind can be such a trial. On Sunday, all being well, I'll be riding from Gloucester to Stoke-on-Trent with, according to the forecast, a 10-12 mph wind directly behind me. I know it will feel like cheating, but I guess I'll just have to accept it.

presta

Guru
if you cannot ride your bike in a straight line then it is too windy FOR YOU and you should stay home.
If you're touring you can't book your weather in advance, you have to take what you're given. Riding over Tan Hill from Grinton to Dufton I had a hoolie of a side wind throwing me out into the road every few seconds with wind noise so loud that I couldn't hear the traffic coming, but I was booked at Dufton so I had to get on with it. The next time I did that journey I went over Birkdale, and the weather was just the same. In 2009 I had to cycle from Blackpool to Chester through the remnants of 'hurricane Bill', like it or not.

Personally, I find wild weather quite good fun and often the most memorable.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My rides of late seems to be headwind no matter what direction I'm going in !
I leave home into a headwind and think great on the way back I'll have the wind pushing me home ..
Nope , headwind ..
Ah, the famous "againsterly". I think it's more common in coastal areas near spring tides but I may be drunk early.

presta

Guru
Ah, the famous "againsterly". I think it's more common in coastal areas near spring tides but I may be drunk early.
The coastal wind I remember best was freewheeling along Hoylake prom at 18mph. Great fun, but I missed my turn and had to turn round and cycle back into it.

Cronorider

Spoken like someone who thinks bicycles are for "going for a ride" and not a form of transport.

So you are in favour of this technique of 'gratuitous weaving' to demonstrate to oncoming drivers that they ought to be careful when overtaking? Quite honestly, having ridden in extreme conditions of all sorts, and having done rather a lot of bike riding, I do not understand this difficulty with crosswinds that people seem to be having. Perhaps it comes as a result of having ridden in large groups of fast moving bicycles in crosswinds along side other lycra clad riders.

Do most of my riding in NL. We don't do hills, but we do wind in a major way.

I believe they call the wind "Dutch Hills"... A bit like "Fen Hills" over here ;)

Slick

Guru
I'm sorry to say the wind and rain beat me this morning. I got up at 5am full of life and ready to go but the wind was howling and rain bouncing off the conservatory roof. I think that's the first time in over 2 years I've baulked at a bit of weather, I hope it doesn't mean I'm getting soft especially as it would have been quite a nice ride home.

D

Deleted member 1258

Today was strange. At the start of the ride it was still, but as the day progressed the wind got stronger, by the time I got halfway to the cafe stop it was slowing me down, making me work and spoiling the ride. On the way back I was halfway home before I got it as a tail wind and that was fun.

So you are in favour of this technique of 'gratuitous weaving' to demonstrate to oncoming drivers that they ought to be careful when overtaking? Quite honestly, having ridden in extreme conditions of all sorts, and having done rather a lot of bike riding, I do not understand this difficulty with crosswinds that people seem to be having. Perhaps it comes as a result of having ridden in large groups of fast moving bicycles in crosswinds along side other lycra clad riders.
You are obviously a powerful rider.

semi-truck-blown-over-by-wind-on-Idaho-bridge.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
you are in favour of this technique of 'gratuitous weaving' to demonstrate to oncoming drivers that they ought to be careful when overtaking?
I am not suggesting this action to communicate to ONCOMING drivers - but to ones who are behind the rider.
I said "A bit of gratuitous weaving encourages traffic passing (ie overtaking) to give the rider plenty of room."
having ridden in large groups of fast moving bicycles in crosswinds along side other lycra clad riders.
Gosh! Once upon a time you must have been a really good cyclist. Still you can go for 'good for age' times now. Riding in large groups of cyclists does seem to result in a lot of crashes, though.

Reactions: mjr
had a quicklook, after a second I noticed the dreaded strava word - analysis analysis analysis anal - just get out there.

Could maybe have done with some forewarning the other week cycling King's Lynn to Peterborough fully loaded against a relentless westerly south westerly but it would only have ensured that I left early for the train I had to catch. The ride had to be done. Won't be going back to the fens that way for a while :smile:

Top Bottom