Windy bike rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Windy weather is a fact of life in UK, particularly if you live somewhere coastal or hilly

Usually 24 hours before, any weather website has got wind direction and strength pretty accurate. Then plan a route that has the hardest bit going with the wind and the easiest bit into the wind

Around here that means the hardest most exposed climbs should be with the wind. As a minimum it should be headwind out,tailwind back
You are so right when we moved down here to Eastbourne I knew it would be hilly but didn't even think about the winds. I have no decided that if its windy no ride after all if its windy it turns a good ride into an ordeal. Something I don't need.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Gaps and gates have been mentioned, but IME the most turbulence you're liable to experience is when a large lorry comes the opposite way. Give yourself an extra metre from the verge. A bit of gratuitous weaving encourages traffic passing (ie overtaking) to give the rider plenty of room. They generally don't realise the challenge a side wind / head wind poses a cyclist so the rider needs to make the struggle clear. 1250km into LEL (across the fens from Horncastle via Spalding to St Ives) springs immediately to mind.
Another vote for Ventusky, for planning, not during the ride.

Slick

Guru
I reckon if I waited on every forecast I would never get out. I do have a look at xc weather and pick the best 2 or 3 days of the week but sometimes you just have to go for it regardless. Monday's ride was both very wet and windy, so tomorrow's windy but dry is an improvement.

Cronorider

Gaps and gates have been mentioned, but IME the most turbulence you're liable to experience is when a large lorry comes the opposite way. Give yourself an extra metre from the verge. A bit of gratuitous weaving encourages traffic passing (ie overtaking) to give the rider plenty of room. They generally don't realise the challenge a side wind / head wind poses a cyclist so the rider needs to make the struggle clear. 1250km into LEL (across the fens from Horncastle via Spalding to St Ives) springs immediately to mind.
Another vote for Ventusky, for planning, not during the ride.

NO way - ride in a friggin straight line FFS.

Another fen-based rider here. Can't avoid the wind for the most part, but there are places I can ride where there are hedgerows or river bank levees. Best way to deal with it is tuck up small and spin a low gear.

Out here a windproof jacket of some kind is a must. Got a lightweight Aldi one for the warmer months and a heavy Decathlon one for when it's colder. Still looking for the holy grail of a waterproof cycling jacket that fits me.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
My rides of late seems to be headwind no matter what direction I'm going in !
I leave home into a headwind and think great on the way back I'll have the wind pushing me home ..
Nope , headwind ..

Ajax Bay

Guru
ride in a friggin straight line FFS.
It is impossible to ride in a straight line on a bike, and even more so with an element of side wind. The rider is constantly applying control (bars/leaning) to change direction, even with no wind. My gratuitous weaving suggestion above is for the purpose of communication, on the presumption that a motorist is likely to give a cyclist, who he/she assesses is less in control of balance/direction, more space when overtaking. Because you can't be sure whether or not a gust is going to hit you as the car is passing, in fresh/strong winds to which the motorist will likely be oblivious in his/her metal shell, a rider needs a bit more space. How would you communicate that need, @Cronorider ? Or are you just relying on them giving you Highway Code space? "Give Cyclists Space- only overtake if you can do safely and give at least 1.5m of space"

Cronorider

It is impossible to ride in a straight line on a bike, and even more so with an element of side wind. The rider is constantly applying control (bars/leaning) to change direction, even with no wind. My gratuitous weaving suggestion above is for the purpose of communication, on the presumption that a motorist is likely to give a cyclist, who he/she assesses is less in control of balance/direction, more space when overtaking. Because you can't be sure whether or not a gust is going to hit you as the car is passing, in fresh/strong winds to which the motorist will likely be oblivious in his/her metal shell, a rider needs a bit more space. How would you communicate that need, @Cronorider ? Or are you just relying on them giving you Highway Code space? "Give Cyclists Space- only overtake if you can do safely and give at least 1.5m of space"

Well when you are 'gratuitously weaving' out toward the centre line and you get hit by a gust of wind that blows you further toward the centre line, perhaps you will have that 'uh oh' moment and realize how ridiculous this advice is. And if you survive that moment then perhaps you will realize that if you cannot ride your bike in a straight line then it is too windy FOR YOU and you should stay home.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I doubt I am alone in occasionally introducing entirely controlled "erratic" riding when wishing to encourage a driver behind me to give a little extra room. I suspect the concentration of vehicles on English roads is rather higher than in Canada, and the rural roads are generally narrower. I didn't say so when you joined, but :welcome:. YMMV

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I doubt I am alone in occasionally introducing entirely controlled "erratic" riding when wishing to encourage a driver behind me to give a little extra room. I suspect the concentration of vehicles on English roads is rather higher than in Canada, and the rural roads are generally narrower. I didn't say so when you joined, but :welcome:. YMMV
Also use this technique when on narrow lanes and cars coming towards me. I move towards the centre until I see the car has seen me and has slowed down, then I move as close to the hedge as I can and pass, giving the driver a pleasant smile and thank you wave as I pass.

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

Also use this technique when on narrow lanes and cars coming towards me. I move towards the centre until I see the car has seen me and has slowed down, then I move as close to the hedge as I can and pass, giving the driver a pleasant smile and thank you wave as I pass.

Must admit I've noticed a massive difference since I started riding more assertively and controlling the space more rather than riding in the gutter!

Top Bottom