Windy bike rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's important to remember there is no such thing as a tailwind. There are good rides when everything comes together and you just feel good and move easily. Then there are days when you have a headwind.

Edit: it's important to note that the latter often occurs when returning from a ride where you had experienced the former. I guess all that good riding sapped your energy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

If wind is constant from one direction, head out into the wind for fitness and fun rides. Returning into a headwind is not fun.
I was truely amazed the first time i experienced a real headwind, knew on an intellectual level it would have that effect, but experiencing it is something else! The same as when i experienced the benefits of drafting for the first time, was quite a shock (but in a much more positive manner!).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Try Ventusky. Decent weather site with moving arrows showing predicted wind direction.
Make sure your battery is charged first, though! :eek:

As for tips about riding in windy conditions, we have a bit of wind here on the fens and this is how I handle it:
  • Headwind - get as low as you can bear.
  • Crosswind - put your windward hand further forward on the bars than the leeward one, so on drops maybe have the windward hand on the hoods and the leeward on the tops or ramp - but be ready to move to the brakes if needed! This steadies you against the gusts a bit, although sudden gusts such as when you emerge from behind a hedge or wall will still be problematic.
  • Tailwind - on those rare occasions, sit up and take the opportunity for an easy ride ;)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Windy weather is a fact of life in UK, particularly if you live somewhere coastal or hilly

Usually 24 hours before, any weather website has got wind direction and strength pretty accurate. Then plan a route that has the hardest bit going with the wind and the easiest bit into the wind

Around here that means the hardest most exposed climbs should be with the wind. As a minimum it should be headwind out,tailwind back

petek

Über Member
There are days when I go out facing a headwind then come back the same route, facing a headwind.
We're costal here and most rides are along the seafront.

Cronorider

In cold windy weather I have a loop route that starts and finishes on a tailwind. I head out with the wind at my back so that I get warmed up. Then when I turn and go towards the wind, it doesn't feel as cold. At the end of the ride I still get to have that fun tailwind to push me home. The other suggestion I would make is to overdress a little so that you will still feel warm when you head out.

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

In cold windy weather I have a loop route that starts and finishes on a tailwind. I head out with the wind at my back so that I get warmed up. Then when I turn and go towards the wind, it doesn't feel as cold. At the end of the ride I still get to have that fun tailwind to push me home. The other suggestion I would make is to overdress a little so that you will still feel warm when you head out.

I've only fairly recently started wearing proper cycling kit when I go out, got quite a shock with the one jersey that seems to let all the wind through it, it was fairly warm couple days before on colder but wind free day, the next day when the wind picked up it was brutal. Have since picked up a merino base layer from Aldi which helps a lot and leave that specific jersey for when there's less wind.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've only fairly recently started wearing proper cycling kit when I go out, got quite a shock with the one jersey that seems to let all the wind through it, it was fairly warm couple days before on colder but wind free day, the next day when the wind picked up it was brutal. Have since picked up a merino base layer from Aldi which helps a lot and leave that specific jersey for when there's less wind.
A relatively thin waterproof or windproof can also be very worthwhile for conditions like that. It's worse if cold rain starts to fall and most of your layers are too-breathable like that, so I pretty much always take a small packable waterproof along if it's below about 12°c (used to be a kag in a bag, but now a Polaris Shield from a recent bargain clearance offer).

Cronorider

I've got a wind vest that goes over my jersey and is very light - when the day warms up it will easily fit into a jersey pocket. It fits very snug over my jersey so that it doesn't flap. You can also get very light jackets that do the same.

If you have to ride in the gusty conditions, you have to learn to make yourself as small as possible, to the gusts. During gusty conditions, I adopt a totally different riding position, having learned the hard way. I spend as much time as I can out of the saddle, and low to the top tube, with elbows in, and either in the drops, or with a flat back position, with the hands on top of the hoods, and forearms parallel with the drops, or hoods. A bit like an 'aero decending' position, but everywhere. I'll try and keep the speed down a bit, compared to a good weather ride, as it makes a difference if you get an unexpected 'WTF' moment, due to a strong gust.

Cronorider

If you have to ride in the gusty conditions, you have to learn to make yourself as small as possible, to the gusts. During gusty conditions, I adopt a totally different riding position, having learned the hard way. I spend as much time as I can out of the saddle, and low to the top tube, with elbows in, and either in the drops, or with a flat back position, with the hands on top of the hoods, and forearms parallel with the drops, or hoods. A bit like an 'aero decending' position, but everywhere. I'll try and keep the speed down a bit, compared to a good weather ride, as it makes a difference if you get an unexpected 'WTF' moment, due to a strong gust.

I am somewhat the opposite - when going into the wind I gear down to something I can spin pretty easily , and because I'm going slowly, I take the opportunity to sit up, look around, and enjoy the scenery. Instead of really grinding it out, I back off the pace and enjoy the view. So often I come back from a ride and realize that for most of it, I was only looking down at the road watching for hazards, and that I didn't take time to look around.

Top Bottom