Windy bike rides

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by NickNick, 11 Oct 2017.

Tags:
  1. NickNick

NickNick Well-Known Member

I'm hating the windy weather at the moment, its either giving me jolts of Adrenalin I could do without when a sideways gust catches my front wheel, or the headwinds are making flat rides feel like I'm battling hills!

Any advise for riding in the wind, or is it just a case of getting used to it?

2. Will Spin

Will Spin Senior Member

I check the forecast, if it's saying more than 40 mph gusts then I don't go out. Otherwise look out for sudden ends of obvious windbreaks, eg walls and hedges, gaps in buildings etc.

NickNick likes this.
  3. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Plan routes based on wind direction

Fact of life in autumn and winter, so best get used to it...or emigrate to the Southern Hemisphere for a bit

dave r and NickNick like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    NickNick

How do you go about doing so? Are there any specific websites/apps worth using? I'd assumed that wind direction would be even less predictable than rain.

5. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

I think @jefmcg knows a site

NickNick likes this.
  6. lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit Guest

NickNick likes this.
  7. Will Spin

Will Spin Senior Member

NickNick likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    NickNick

That looks amazingly useful!

9. OP
    OP
    NickNick

I'm sure you're right, its just one of those unsubstantiated gut feel assumptions I made and never really looked into.

10. lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit Guest

Some of the features are only available with a subscription, but the free stuff is pretty good

NickNick likes this.
  11. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

12. Rooster1

Rooster1 I was right about that saddle

Gusty rides are quite demoralizing. I just survived a 15 mile blust fest. All i can say is don't let it beat you.

NickNick likes this.
  13. (i'm not an meteorologist, but) I think wind direction is a fundamental part of weather forecast. Air moves from areas of higher to lower pressure, causing wind and taking the clouds along with it. Whether rain comes would depend on how far the clouds move and in what direction, and if the conditions are such that the clouds drop rain. Get any of those things a little wrong, and your rain forecast would be wrong, but your wind forecast would still be 98% accurate.

NickNick likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    NickNick

That would make sense!

15. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Veteran

If wind is constant from one direction, head out into the wind for fitness and fun rides. Returning into a headwind is not fun.

Blue Hills, presta, petek and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice