Windy bike rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickNick

I'm hating the windy weather at the moment, its either giving me jolts of Adrenalin I could do without when a sideways gust catches my front wheel, or the headwinds are making flat rides feel like I'm battling hills!

Any advise for riding in the wind, or is it just a case of getting used to it?

Will Spin

Über Member
I check the forecast, if it's saying more than 40 mph gusts then I don't go out. Otherwise look out for sudden ends of obvious windbreaks, eg walls and hedges, gaps in buildings etc.

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

Plan routes based on wind direction

Fact of life in autumn and winter, so best get used to it...or emigrate to the Southern Hemisphere for a bit

How do you go about doing so? Are there any specific websites/apps worth using? I'd assumed that wind direction would be even less predictable than rain.

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather they have an app.
Generally I think it's easier to predict wind strength and direction than precipitation, but I'm not expert on this.

I'm sure you're right, its just one of those unsubstantiated gut feel assumptions I made and never really looked into.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Gusty rides are quite demoralizing. I just survived a 15 mile blust fest. All i can say is don't let it beat you.

I'd assumed that wind direction would be even less predictable than rain.
(i'm not an meteorologist, but) I think wind direction is a fundamental part of weather forecast. Air moves from areas of higher to lower pressure, causing wind and taking the clouds along with it. Whether rain comes would depend on how far the clouds move and in what direction, and if the conditions are such that the clouds drop rain. Get any of those things a little wrong, and your rain forecast would be wrong, but your wind forecast would still be 98% accurate.

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

(i'm not an meteorologist, but) I think wind direction is a fundamental part of weather forecast. Air moves from areas of higher to lower pressure, causing wind and taking the clouds along with it. Whether rain comes would depend on how far the clouds move and in what direction, and if the conditions are such that the clouds drop rain. Get any of those things a little wrong, and your rain forecast would be wrong, but your wind forecast would still be 98% accurate.

That would make sense!

Top Bottom