Windy eye problems!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
Does anyone else suffer bloodshot eyes and pain caused by the wind or sun?

Mine have been terribly bloodshot, sore and weepy and my doctor has told me I need to invest in shades and cycling glasses to protect my eyes.

Anyone else suffer and got any tips or recommendations for best value cycling glasses? Thanks

Nibor

Bewildered
best value cycling glasses are industrial safety glasses you can get them clear and tinted for very little money they are designed to protect from industrial stuff too so will handle any stray stones flies etc with ease
http://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-wo...anagedredirect-_-safetyworkwear-_-safetyspecs

Katherine

Guru
My eyes absolutely stream without wrap around glasses. I wear Endura yellow anti fog ones in the dark / rain/ poor light that help to stop the glare from car lights etc, and darker brown ones in bright light which stop me from squinting. They've stopped lots of flying insects from going into my eyes as well as the odd stone chip.
You'll have to try different types to find which ones are comfortable but Aldi do quite comfortable ones for £1.99 when they do their cycling special buys.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Thank-you for both the suggestions, I hate wearing glasses or shades of any sort so it's going to take some getting used to but can't carry on with my eyes being this sore!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It isn't just to keep the wind out ... A mate of mine had forgotten his cycling glasses and was descending at speed when he was hit in one eye by a large bluebottle. He somehow managed to do an emergency stop without crashing but his eye was a right mess. I had to lever his eyelid open to rinse out bluebottle mush. The eye was completely bloodshot. He looked like he had done 5 rounds with a bare knuckle boxer!

I had my glasses cracked by a stone chipping thrown up by a speeding car which overtook me on a newly resurfaced stretch of road.

I have had bees and wasps bounce harmlessly off my cycling glasses. I wouldn't have wanted them in my eyes!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have had bees and wasps bounce harmlessly off my cycling glasses. I wouldn't have wanted them in my eyes!
Yeah, but from my younger pre-spectacle days, I know I used to manage to close my eyes before most stuff got in them. Still stung, but it's pretty rare that something aligns so perfectly that it gets in without triggering the closure reaction. I wear goggles most of the time because the wind rush around the currently-fashionable small lenses dries my eyelids out.

keithmac

Guru
I look like I'm crying some mornings on the way to work..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I purchased some sky diving wrap around goggles and i have not had a problem since.
http://www.specs4sports.co.uk/sorz-skydiving-goggles-20-c.asp
Do they fit over specs OK then? And do you know if the blue mirror is a blue tint or just a mirror effect?

I've tried a few things that look better than my safety goggles but they've all had drawbacks so far. I'd like to go back to the mirror wraparounds I used to use, but most things don't fit over glasses and I'm reluctant to get a prescription set made and be swapping between two sets of lenses with all the problems they cause me...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Does anyone else suffer bloodshot eyes and pain caused by the wind or sun?

Mine have been terribly bloodshot, sore and weepy and my doctor has told me I need to invest in shades and cycling glasses to protect my eyes.

Anyone else suffer and got any tips or recommendations for best value cycling glasses? Thanks
wait...you don't cycle with glasses?

WHY ever not?

Top Bottom