Winning the lottery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I've just had an idea what I'd do if I somehow acquired a lot of money. I'd rent an office in one of those office buildings and pretend to be the boss of a small company. I'd hire a receptionist/secretary to sit at a desk before the door. I'd spend my time thinking of tasks for her do so that she doesn't know she's not working for a real company.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've just had an idea what I'd do if I somehow acquired a lot of money. I'd rent an office in one of those office buildings and pretend to be the boss of a small company. I'd hire a receptionist/secretary to sit at a desk before the door. I'd spend my time thinking of tasks for her do so that she doesn't know she's not working for a real company.

Genius that. No question about it.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
You could have a sex worker for a secretary, then you could be a perverted sex pest while discussing imaginary spread sheets..

Oh no, I wouldn't do that. I'd probably had to consult a business advisor to know what a small company should be doing. I might have to hire actors to pretend to be clients. It's not just the receptionist I'd want to impress; it's all the other small business staff in the building.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Keith Waterhouse, Office Life. Same idea on a rather larger scale.....

Having looked it up on the internet, I am sure I saw the film. It had Jenny Agutter in it :smile:
I remember the reveal was that the government had calculated it was marginally better for the economy to employ people to do nothing useful than to let them be unemployed.
There is also Reyholm Industries in the IT Crowd. No one is sure quite what they do, but they seem to do quite a lot. Actually it strikes me they're a company a bit like Foster Wheeler, who do all sorts of massive engineering and construction projects, so maybe that's not a good example.
My motive is that I've never been a boss. I've always been an employee. I'd go to my office in my suit and tie and tell the reception/secretary to hold my calls for an hour. I think I'd only employ her part time. In the afternoons I'd say I had clients to meet and then do something else. I'm not sure what yet.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Having looked it up on the internet, I am sure I saw the film. It had Jenny Agutter in it :smile:
I remember the reveal was that the government had calculated it was marginally better for the economy to employ people to do nothing useful than to let them be unemployed.
There is also Reyholm Industries in the IT Crowd. No one is sure quite what they do, but they seem to do quite a lot. Actually it strikes me they're a company a bit like Foster Wheeler, who do all sorts of massive engineering and construction projects, so maybe that's not a good example.
My motive is that I've never been a boss. I've always been an employee. I'd go to my office in my suit and tie and tell the reception/secretary to hold my calls for an hour. I think I'd only employ her part time. In the afternoons I'd say I had clients to meet and then do something else. I'm not sure what yet.
BBC adaptation. JA was indeed in it, watched it myself. And some years later read the book.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I can't even begin to understand why. I'd want to travel, have a better bike, help my kids buy houses. What's the point in sitting in an office all day? It's what most people are trying to escape.

Genius that. No question about it.

I realise I'm probably being to literal but it strikes me as the complete opposite!

Lozz360

Veteran
Why not start a real business with your money? That way you wouldn’t be wasting yours and other people’s time. If the business made a loss it shouldn’t matter as you would lose/spend money on the pretend business anyway.

postman

Legendary Member
I would tell nobody.I would then get the builders in and do a great deal of work on the house.We live in a wonderful street,and i would not want to move.We look out on to a small wooded area which we own,it is a mass of different shades of green at the moment.It is also a quiet street,and you cannot put a price on that.It's handy for shops and supermarkets.I would travel and wine and dine well.As i said i would tell nobody.Anyway got to go now,the butler says the bath water is just at the right temperature.Must be dressed before the builders arrive.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'd buy a modest house, with a huge garage and a shed which I'd turn into a workshop. Spend a few grand on some nice workshop tools, then I'd be happy.

I saw a guy in Austin TX on Youtube who builds bikes. His workshop was huge - there was a classic muscle car in the corner and it barely took up any room. I have to step over various tools and 2 bikes just to reach a light switch....

Top Bottom