winter and darknes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

I don't want to be a doom-monger it's only August I know and hey the weather's been great.

However I'm looking as the nights draw in and thinking 'cycling in winter darkness, now that's a whole different story.'

How does one prepare for the dark evenings? Rain's not a problem I'm used to that, but cycling in proper darkness probably carries its own perils.

Bristol Dave

Get a good set of lights. Cheap lights are a false economy. Only buy a set of cheap lights as a back up to your main set.

Plenty of advice on here about lights.

Other than that, it is pretty much the same as any other time of year in my experience.

BD

knonist

I'm thinking about the same thing too! I remembered someone mentioned tesco 3W tourch before, but I havent had a chance to look at it yet.

Tynan

Veteran
as the happy owner of a very bright (and very expensive) front light, I'm very surprised at how much difference it makes, even in the daylight I get cars seeing me in the left wingmirror and moving over

I think it's money well spent to go as bright as you can on the front, like really bright

very good cheap rear light are easy

a bit of hi viz after dark is a good thing imho, spec if it's a bit chilly

Mark T

A bright/powerful front light does seem to make people think twice before pulling out in front of you.

They have to spend some time processing what exactly is coming.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Spend as much as you can on a very bright front light - for seeing with and being seen. Add in a hi-viz vest (you can get cheap ones from builders supply websites) and perhaps a hi-viz backpack cover (if you wear one) and you're sorted.

jimboalee

First morning with lamps this morning.

Still got that Tesco 3W 2 x AA torch.

14 miles, three cars and two vans passed me the other way.

A couple of dead rabbits showed up fine in the light from the Tesco torch.

Plenty of squashed slugs. Dodged them OK so no picking guts of the mudguards.

I can remember where the potholes are ( roughly ) and they showed up fine.

£9 well spent.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Just noticed that the site I use also does hi-viz shorts (as well as trousers, jackets, fleeces, t-shirts, polo-shirts, bodywarmers etc).

Just about every hi-viz item you could ever need (though you'd not necessarily want or wear :biggrin:)

lukesdad

I consider rear lights to be more important most of my riding is done on rural roads,far more likely to get hit from behind. I use 2 rear lights 1 on the bike and 1 on the backpack.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Don't forget if you are in Tesco getting the cree 3w torch (look in the torch section) then pick up some of the mini flashing lights (inthe bike section) last winter I had four on my helmet, 2 at the front and 2 looking back, those and a decent rear flasher on the bike itself seemed to have a good effect as lots of drivers took a wide berth.

Top Bottom