Winter bike problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.

This is abit of an odd problem but I need some light shedding on it.

Basically, I've built up my winter bike, and the problem is, the winter bike feels significantly slower than my summer bike, it feels as if the winter bike takes allot longer to spin up and when you get going it slows down like a lead weight.

Here is the specs of both bikes.

CAAD9
105 Groupset, R700 Chainset, R550 wheels, Michelin Krylion tyres

Genesis Aether:
105 rear mech, breaks, Tiagra shifters, Ultegra front mech, R700 chainset, Mavic Aksium wheels, Vittoria Topazio Pro tyres (never heard of these, anyone had any experience with them?)

Has anyone got any idea what it could be? My Genesis is abit heavier and does have full mudguards but from my experience mudguards dont slow the bike down and the weight should make no difference. It's really bugging me.

Thanks
Will.

Will1985

Über Member
Think of it as resistance training, then when you get back on the summer bike you'll be flying! It may be that the rolling resistance is pretty poor - both are fairly low level wheelsets with basic bearings so that shouldn't create a massive difference.

The brakes aren't rubbing are they?

No the breaks are fine. I think the sound of resistance training is good but at the same time how irritating it would be to know I could do this route at say 20mph average and I'm only doing it at 18 or 19 on my winter bike.

How much better are those Dura Ace wheels than the R550's (105), surely they cant be much quicker? I mean would seem too good to be true if you'd get a mph or something just from a wheel.

The confusing thing is, my winter bike, used to be my main bike with the Aksiums, and when I got the CAAD9 I thought hardly any speed difference, I did have Krylions on the Aksiums then though but I wasent really hink that a tyre could be causing so much decrease in speed, also since it's called Topazio Pro you'd not expect it to be a really slow tyre would you?

Have you had any experience with the Aksiums and R550's in person before?

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Could it not be that your winter bike has been unused for a while and might just need a few more runs to work everything back in again or maybe try a higher pressure on your tyres.

I hope you manage to solve the problem
Norm

Will1985

Über Member
Aksiums yes, Shimano....no. The difference between entry level wheels and top end is quite big - mostly because the hubs/bearings are so much better. Quality hubs will spin for a lot longer and can be easily serviced.

The winter isn't about going around at the same speed - you build base miles at a slower speed...otherwise you'll burn up with fatigue from trying to speed round your route all months of the year.

It's pretty clean, I rebuilt it, it is all working fine no broken or wrongly configured bits, I had a cracked frame so had to get it replaced.

Will, I've got good base miles and in the winter I wont be increasing it, in Manchester they usually do shorter rides but a larger amount of steep hills, not hillier, just more hills steeper. I've got a range of about 170 miles at the moment and can average 18-19 on a 100 miler I just wont want to be going slower, I know winter is not about going fast but I'm not someone who wants to go slower, in winter I like to go same speed as summer and seems fine as long as I am wearing all warm kit and keep everything warm.

I'll just try the Shimano wheels on the Genesis see how it goes, hopefully it's related to the wheels.

I am hoping it's all in my head as the wheels are rust free, but it honestly does seem to slow down like a lead weight and take more energy to speed up, I did the same 6.3 mile loop, first on my Genesis, I got 18.8 avg, then I went on my CAAD9, I got 20mph avg, then on the Genesis I also got 20mph avg but I was pushing harder that time.

I dont know maybe it could be just the feel of the bike, it's bugging me though, I guess I should re do the comparisons but with a HRM then If the Genesis is indeed slower then I guess to maintain the same speed my heart rate will be higher?

Ok well my Krylions gave up today so on with these Vittoria Open Corsas tyres that I think are pretty crap and are so thin, I noticed that if I spin the Aksiums and R550's at roughly the same speed, the Aksiums spin for longer, does this mean better bearings and they should be faster?

I went out today and I think the Genesis is just as fast out of the wind but slower into the wind, of course I'd expect/hope the CAAD9 is abit faster as it should be the frame is massivly better just it seemed allot slower.

Garz

Squat Member
Bigtwin said:
Unless the hubs are full of rust, it's all in your head.

Seems this holds true im afraid will. Don't beat yourself up over it just get the riding done!

Well it still felt slow with the R550's, maybe I'm just not used to this bike after about 4 or 5 months of riding exclusivly on the CAAD9, also the Genesis is a 9spd and I was getting abit irritated by the gearing on the Genesis today, could not get comfortable with it, it's got 12-26 cassette on, my CAAD9 is 10spd and had 12-27. My commuter has 12-23

Top Bottom