Winter Coat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

Looking for a decent winter commuting coat as I've committed to cycling throughout. Was looking at Altura Night Vision but the reviews tend to be "it's good until it falls apart".

So any recommendations on something waterproof and windproof that won't have the boil in the bag effect and with zips that stay attached? Planning well ahead here, hoping to get something discounted during the "summer".

battered

Guru
I favour my superannuated mountaineering jackets for winter cycling. They are tougher, warmer, windproof, withstand dirt...and best of all I have them in the spare room.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

I've read a lot of stories about zips breaking off, that's all I know. Considering splashing out on a Gore Path II but the Endura Convert looks pretty good (and a lot cheaper). Thanks for the input.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've had 3 replacement Altura Crosslite jackets which have had zip problems. I won't buy another Altura when the latest gives up the ghost.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
endura convert is shite. not waterproof enough for winter and too heavy for summer/spring use. waste of money. mine has been back twice for zip re-sewing on the zip off arms.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I use an Assos Airjack for cool temps and a Fugu for sub zero. You wont go wrong with them but they may be too costly for commuting,

I've also got 2 Evos which are more of a normal jacket and they are excellent, miles better than the normal night vision and pretty good breatheability for a waterproof, also good in a torrential downpour as I discovered recently. They are different material from the standard night vision. Good price at Merlin :sad:

Ranger

I love my NightVision Windproof, toasty in even the coldest Scottish winter and showerproof enough that I very, very rarely wear a waterproof but completely breathable

djb1971

Legendary Member
colinr said:
That's where I was looking at. They always deliver lightening fast too.

Yep, good service.

The Evo version has a little flashing stick light that attaches to the rear of the jacket. They are handy if you get off the bike to do repairs etc. They also have the usual neck adjustment for chilly winds and armpit zipped vents to aid cooling. The reflective also seems to be well stuck on!!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used a altura nevis jacket i got free with C+ sub, a short sleeve shirt and a long sleeve compression layer for my upper body.
Even in mid winter that was plenty for me.
As far as legs went i used a pair of cycling shorts with my cycling trousers i got off wiggle.

shrew

well, i found i cooked in a windproof jacket even in the snow.

nice tip, horse riding windproof but breathable jackets a great in any weather, very lite, cloth type finish and house riding jackets are cut low at the back the same as cycling ones. i got a great one for £20 from regatta and i live in it now ) love it and it looks like new 2 years later.

Top Bottom