Winter Doldrums

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper

Alas, it's turned to cooler, wetter winter weather recently. And even more alas, my performance has dropped correspondingly! I used to turn in 18mph plus on just about all rides, even reaching the dizzy heights of 19mph on occasion. But then the same thing happens every year. October comes and the averages start to drop.
I feel as though I'm still travelling as fast, but get home and check the trip comp, and somehow the performance just isn't there. Put it down to wet roads (even fog this morning) dark roads, cooler conditions, whatever? But the rides take 5 to 10 minutes longer.
I'm posting this in the hope that it's not just me, and that all cyclists get the winter doldrums?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't get the doldrums. I don't see how you can when being on the bike however fast or slow I am going..
But winter riding is more slower generally due to road and weather conditions, more clothing being worn etc

I think best thing you can do to stop yourself getting down is get rid of the cycling computer and just ride your bike.

OP
OP
Skipper

Skipper

Fair comment. And I know that winter cycling is slower. But the computer gives me a buzz when the ride goes better that expected. I've been in sport long enough to take the highs with the lows. Put the bad ones behind you and focus on the next. I do ride for the fun of riding, but I also compete against myself (if that's possible). I just don't enjoy losing!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Fair comment. And I know that winter cycling is slower. But the computer gives me a buzz when the ride goes better that expected. I've been in sport long enough to take the highs with the lows. Put the bad ones behind you and focus on the next. I do ride for the fun of riding, but I also compete against myself (if that's possible). I just don't enjoy losing!
I reckon just about everybody cycles more slowly in winter. Think of it as consolidation for new records in the spring when the ice crystals in your blood melt.

It happens every year - get used to it. I wouldn't regard it as anything depressing though. Keep riding through the winter and you will feel the benefits in the spring.

Koga

There's a theory that when its slightly wet the water forms a lube which makes your tyres roll easier/faster but I'd rather not test that theory choosing to slow down, particularly on bends :ohmy:
I have heard that before, but you can argue the opposite (not very scientifically) :
You need friction to enable traction (so water lube would be inefficient here)
Water has a capillary action which results in loss of efficiency.
Water on tyres, means heavier wheel/tyre set up, more energy required to spin the wheels.
Water spinning of or from your wheel, all lost energy

If I continue I will go backwards in the rain !

Is there any scientific research on this ?

Top Bottom