Winter fitness ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Last Winter I spent hours in the gym spinning away on uncomfortable equipment.(the thought of a trainer fills me with dread) I tried to get out as much as possible and commuted in all but the worst of weathers, this year though I need a better plan.
Thinking of doing a little weight work in the gym, cycling when possible and swimming. I've always liked swimming and have already started doing a little. It doesn't seem to hinder the bike,mostly swim breast stroke, but are there any things I should beware of:dry:

swimming makes you good at swimming - if that's what you mean..??

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
What are you aiming to achieve.

Bike fitness
general fitness
weight loss

if its bike fitness I find nothing replaces just getting out on it.

If its general fitness I found that cycling/spinning, then 45 mins of weights followed by 30-40 lengths (short pool) a couple/3 times a week... shed about 2.5 stone during the winter months.

I've since put all that back on, but the programme worked

montage

God Almighty
Just do as much aerobic activity as possible - then closer towards the end of winter spend more and more time on the bike so the fitness transfers.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
I love swimming too, but I think the problem with it is that 90% of people simply don't have a good enough swimming technique to get a decent aerobic workout from it.

With bad technique most swimmers fight the water and end up either exhausted after a couple of lengths or swim so slowly that they barely get out of breath, or they can't time their breathing well enough to swim whilst breathing heavily.

It has taken me a few years of regular swimming to get to the stage where I can do 45 mins of front crawl at a pace fast enough to keep me breathing hard and feel as if I'm getting a decent workout.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I use swimming, swim 1600m, 50% front crawl, 50% back flutter kicks, and I go 2-3 times a week.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Its bike fitness I want to keep, so guess it out in the cold and rain and MTFU.

I swim around 1250m three times a week, which I think helps with my breathing when on the bike

Thanks for the replies:thumbsup:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think supplementing it works fairly well, like instead of cycling as frequently as you do, switch some out for more swimming or gym etc. I guess it depends if you're trying to keep roughly the same level of fitness through winter or if you're a competitive cyclist and need to keep training 100%.

I tend to run more in winter and cut back on cycling and don't notice much of any difference in spring in terms of speed/endurance.

Berties

Fast and careful!
With the inclement weather this week and the large amount of hedge cutting in my are area I have started my winter programme the trusty mountain bike has been hammered off road,have had to hose my self down on my return not just the bike,I swam 2 k yesterday,boring!!and squash one evening a week ,will do pirates next term,and had new trainers fitted for a couple of 10 k runs a week , looking forward to drier weather to get the winter trainer back out but the last two days required mtb

I love swimming too, but I think the problem with it is that 90% of people simply don't have a good enough swimming technique to get a decent aerobic workout from it.

With bad technique most swimmers fight the water and end up either exhausted after a couple of lengths or swim so slowly that they barely get out of breath, or they can't time their breathing well enough to swim whilst breathing heavily.

It has taken me a few years of regular swimming to get to the stage where I can do 45 mins of front crawl at a pace fast enough to keep me breathing hard and feel as if I'm getting a decent workout.

Personally I just found a standard pool (25m) was never long enough, but repeated requests for an extension were denied/ignored or mislaid. After 9 stokes of breast stoke I was at the wall again, front crawl only got me to something in the high teens...before finding a tiled wall... but the biggest hurdle of all was fitting in 1,000m in 30-40 mins, showering and being back at my desk inside the 1 hour mark with a 5 min walk each way... As for a decent workout - well I get very warm and sweaty long before I get to the 1,000m mark even in a swimming pool so will still take my waterbottle in with me for drinking water. usually the pool is not cold enough either which does not help.

I find the way to gain technique and speed is to use a float and legs only. It very quickly builds the foundations... even more fun is trying to hold a (special) float between your knees and swim arms only. Then you really get to know just how good/bad your technique is... its a good one for getting your arms aching the next day.

As for helping or not helping - if the goal of cycling is overall fitness, then swimming will help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As Black'n'Yellow hints at, bike fit means bike miles. Get kitted up for the weather. TBH I commute on the same bike/tyre combo all year round, unless it's icy and snow, then the fun bike comes out. Mix it up a little. I've joined the local gym, but I'm using that to help with core strength, particularly building up my shoulders (injured a few years back).

Swimming and stuff is fine, and most importantly, if you enjoy it, continue to do so. It will help maintain fitness, and is a good overall exercise, but you still need bike miles for bike fit.

Top Bottom