Winter is coming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolf616

Über Member
Okay, okay it's probably a little bit early to be thinking about winter considering we are still (just about) in summer. Having said that, as I only started cycling at the end of May thus far my experience has largely been beautifully sunny days and an almost complete lack of rain (turns out London in the summer has pretty damn good weather).

With all the sales going on I've started to think about what I need to get for autumn/winter whilst everything is still cheap. I've already winter-proofed my bike (mudguards, bigger tyres etc.) but now need to think about my actual body, rather than the aluminium steed with which I have become so obsessed.

So, what are they key things you need for the colder and wetter months ahead? Please bear in mind I'm on a (very) tight budget and have no snobbery associated with cheap brands (Aldi are bloody brilliant, for example) but want stuff that actually works decently.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My winter kit:
A good water-resistant jacket (or two of different weights), long enough to send rain over the back of the saddle (but take care dismounting forwards) and with a hood that you can loosen quickly when you need full visibility or stow away and keep dry if you're not using it (you'll still appreciate it when you stop).
Waterproof mittens or lobster gloves (I like sealskinz but others prefer aldi).
Rain legs.
Thermal buff, which I usually use as a beanie.
Glasses or overglasses, to keep the rain off your eyes.
Cap with enough brim to stop rain getting behind the glasses.
Microfibre towel with bag so you don't have to drip onto your lunch. Tresspass and Mountain warehouse seem to be discounting before the new ranges come in.
Clicky hand warmers.
Waterproof shoes, ideally.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Ice tyres – if you’re going to venture out in the deep midwinter.

Decent lights

Thicker socks (merino)

Toe covers and for really cold/wet weather: neoprene overshoes.

Buff

Cycling cap/helmet liner

Belgian Winter cycling cap or just a hat (I find a lightweight merino yarn is all I can wear due to excessive sweating).

Thermal Jerseys

Base layers

Windproof jacket (I use this more than a rain jacket).

Thermal Gilet

Thermal Bib Tights

Windproof gloves

Heavier winter gloves.

Glove liners

As you can see, I focus on my extremities and like to layer up. You don’t need to always get cycling specific clothing – camping shops and their sales can usually turn up good quality kit at a decent price. To be honest, the best time to buy winter kit was probably 2-3 months ago, but you can still grab a few bargains.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Can't wait for it as I'm not really a 'summer' person but lets list the advantages
  • A chance to wear proper clothes without sweating.
  • Less outdoor 'events' at the pub over the road.
  • Cyclepaths not clogged up with families on a 'walk'.
  • Sitting in front of my wood burning stove watching the flames (much better than the dross on TV).
  • A return to darker (winter warmer) beers instead of these 'over-hopped' pale Hipster 'summer ales'.
  • Less to do in the garden.
  • An end to people moaning on about how crap this summer has been (yet again)
  • The cats spending more time indoors instead of Maz worrying what dangers they're facing outside.
Roll on November and cycling in crisp bright weather whilst a lot of people cower indoors chanting "its too cold" at each other whilst us jumper/fleece wearers enjoy the quiet.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As above, so lights (pref 2 especially at the back where you won't see if it falls off or the batteries run out), waterproof, gloves and liner gloves (gives you options to vary how much warmth is needed), gillet for those nice days when you just need a bit of a wind barrier, waterproof trousers, buff, thin layers.

Okay, okay it's probably a little bit early to be thinking about winter considering we are still (just about) in summer. Having said that, as I only started cycling at the end of May thus far my experience has largely been beautifully sunny days and an almost complete lack of rain (turns out London in the summer has pretty damn good weather).

With all the sales going on I've started to think about what I need to get for autumn/winter whilst everything is still cheap. I've already winter-proofed my bike (mudguards, bigger tyres etc.) but now need to think about my actual body, rather than the aluminium steed with which I have become so obsessed.

So, what are they key things you need for the colder and wetter months ahead? Please bear in mind I'm on a (very) tight budget and have no snobbery associated with cheap brands (Aldi are bloody brilliant, for example) but want stuff that actually works decently.

Are you cycling for pleasure or commuting to work or both, When I cycled to work I just used clothing that would look ok at work that was warm and waterproof, with a cycling cap under my cycle helmet, and some waterproof gloves I bought from a surplus store, along with the waterproof jacket and fleece. Cycling for pleasure, I use a merino base layer with a cycling fleece and a light over jacket if it turns to rain, and winter grade tights. and waterproof over shoes if its raining or snowing. With shorter days you will need lights sometime even during the day if the weather is inclement, Light wise I have a rear light on the seat post and another one either on my Helmet on on my backpack if I am wearing one, for a front light I have as my main light a Exposure Max D, with a cateye as a backup. If you search around look at what the surplus stores are selling or what the cheaper outdoors shops have on offer.

Can't wait for it as I'm not really a 'summer' person but lets list the advantages
  • A chance to wear proper clothes without sweating.
  • Less outdoor 'events' at the pub over the road.
  • Cyclepaths not clogged up with families on a 'walk'.
  • Sitting in front of my wood burning stove watching the flames (much better than the dross on TV).
  • A return to darker (winter warmer) beers instead of these 'over-hopped' pale Hipster 'summer ales'.
  • Less to do in the garden.
  • An end to people moaning on about how crap this summer has been (yet again)
  • The cats spending more time indoors instead of Maz worrying what dangers they're facing outside.
Roll on November and cycling in crisp bright weather whilst a lot of people cower indoors chanting "its too cold" at each other whilst us jumper/fleece wearers enjoy the quiet.

You are one sick puppy.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
t2180-vortex-smart-1.jpg

dayPass.jpg

traveler-check.-Summer-vacation-concept-with-sea-seascape-ocean-send-flight-idea.-Beach-holidays.jpg

Fubar

Guru

Winter is tough on everything (well it is up here) so no point spending a lot anyway. Go for layers 'cos normally 5 minutes after setting off in the freezing cold I am roasting!

Top Bottom