Winter is coming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why won't you see it? Put the light where you can see it when you look back. You're not in a car where that's physically impossible!
Well for a start my main light is on the end of the pannier rack, and there is usually a pannier mounted. If I'm looking backwards I don't see why I need to check the light is there and working when an easier solution is to ride with two. Put it this way, it works for me. I have reached the end of a journey to see that the rear light I thought was ok, has faded during the journey. The other is tucked up under the seat post.

I have been known to look in the reflections of the car behind at traffic lights to check they are on.

Having two means that you can have two different patterns at the same time, some rear lights flash with quite a long off phase though my new light has a pulse light instead.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Personally I would blow (nearly) all my winter budget on a good pair of winter cycling boots. I have a pair of Northwave winter boots and I'm very happy with them.

The rest of the stuff I'd just get from a budget outdoor shop, and it's pretty straightforward. Warm clothes and gloves - lots of layers. (It's easy to overheat too!) Don't have to be cycling specific to be effective.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well for a start my main light is on the end of the pannier rack, and there is usually a pannier mounted.
It's like that on two of my bikes and I can see the top of the light beyond the back of rack bag or a double pannier (single panniers don't cover the top of the rack). :confused:

Another bike has the rear light in the classic seat stay position, which I really do prefer, even if it limits pannier size. It's just so comforting to see it's still there and still on!
Having two means that you can have two different patterns at the same time, some rear lights flash with quite a long off phase though my new light has a pulse light instead.
Flashing or pulsing lights should be kept for brake lights IMO, but I know the law doesn't agree! Anyway, how do you know that both rear lights haven't gone dim or off?
Put it this way, it works for me
Oh well, each to their own!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Personally I would blow (nearly) all my winter budget on a good pair of winter cycling boots. I have a pair of Northwave winter boots and I'm very happy with them.

The rest of the stuff I'd just get from a budget outdoor shop, and it's pretty straightforward. Warm clothes and gloves - lots of layers. (It's easy to overheat too!) Don't have to be cycling specific to be effective.
Ditto on the winter boots, I've got a pair of Diadora 'Chillis' and a pair of Specialized winter boots.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's like that on two of my bikes and I can see the top of the light beyond the back of rack bag or a double pannier (single panniers don't cover the top of the rack). :confused:

Another bike has the rear light in the classic seat stay position, which I really do prefer, even if it limits pannier size. It's just so comforting to see it's still there and still on!

Flashing or pulsing lights should be kept for brake lights IMO, but I know the law doesn't agree! Anyway, how do you know that both rear lights haven't gone dim or off?

Oh well, each to their own!
Seat stay position wouldn't work with my Big pannier, plus I find it hard not to end up with the light pointing slightly upwards to the following cyclist, which isn't brilliant.

If you are taller you may find it easier to look down at the back of your bike than a shorter person? I don't know, I just know it's one of those tasks that I find difficult despite being able to look behind fine.

The chances of both lights fading at the same time is unlikely, though not impossible.

I find as a car driver it is easier to spot a flashing or pulsating light in amongst a host of brake lights when they are ages in front. So on that basis I like to have one flashing light. If cycling with others I prefer steady.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Take the advice on the thread as a pick and mix, use what works for you and your routes.

For my two penn'orth

Multiple lights front and rear : If battery lights spare batteries for at least one set. I like a flashing & steady mix both front and rear.

A sam browne belt reflected in headlights says cyclist more than the ubiquitous builders bib. (so do pedal reflectors)

I also favour a helmet more in winter as I can put a high level set of lights up there visible over cars in traffic. The peak is also helpful for low winter sun too.

On that, sunglasses are still useful to carry as the sun is blinding more often being lower - not only for you but the people in a ton and a half + of metal too.

A buff or several will be your best friend, on your head, round your neck, to keep your nose warm (tho they get manky damp if you breathe through them). They're great over the ears as they don't cut out noise but keep those tender extremeties warm.

Layer your socks and gloves. Trainer socks, silk liners on the skin. Outer layer windproof and waterproof.

I favour a decent waterproof walking boot or shoe at a fraction of the price of bespoke winter cycling ones and no less effective. Unless you're riding cleated of course. Flats are easier to get your foot down in one fluid movement if its slippy.

I find 90++% of the time I'm fine with a warm windproof softshell & a decent underlayer or two, they have a good level of showerproofing too but I don't notice more rainy days in the winter than any other time really and run far cooler than in a winter jacket.

I don't wear lycra generally but a pair of bib longs under trousers on a very cold day is nice.

Studdy tyres really do make a difference if you're riding on ice or compacted snow.

Do a good regular mickle of the chain and keep the cogs, hubs, rims & brakes good and clean. Salt is a component killer and what you pick up from claggy slushy roads acts as a grinding paste.

Enjoy, winter is a great time to be riding.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im all ready for winter , mind you it can be 4-5 degrees in the morning atm so its baselayer + arm/legwarmers at 6 am .

howard2107

Can't wait for it as I'm not really a 'summer' person but lets list the advantages
  • A chance to wear proper clothes without sweating.
  • Less outdoor 'events' at the pub over the road.
  • Cyclepaths not clogged up with families on a 'walk'.
  • Sitting in front of my wood burning stove watching the flames (much better than the dross on TV).
  • A return to darker (winter warmer) beers instead of these 'over-hopped' pale Hipster 'summer ales'.
  • Less to do in the garden.
  • An end to people moaning on about how crap this summer has been (yet again)
  • The cats spending more time indoors instead of Maz worrying what dangers they're facing outside.
Roll on November and cycling in crisp bright weather whilst a lot of people cower indoors chanting "its too cold" at each other whilst us jumper/fleece wearers enjoy the quiet.
I am a summer person, but you sum up winter perfect, not seen it in a positive light before, thanks.

RichardB

Slightly retro
With a combination of old cycling gear from 'back in the day' and cold weather stuff from years of winter motorcycling, I have found I am well kitted-up. I work nights, and I can be riding to work on a balmy evening and returning home at 6 am with frost on the ground, so my bag has to carry something for every eventuality. What seems to be working for me so far is:
  • Bright yellow waterproof jacket (supposed to be breathable, but it's a 1990s version of breathable, i.e. it isn't) - keeps my upper half dry from rain, but tends to the 'boil-in-the-bag' effect on mild days/strenuous effort
  • Yellow hi-viz mesh waistcoat from Tesco, much cheapness, works fine if too warm for the jacket (wife insists on something bright at all times)
  • Old black training tights in thin fleece - keeps legs warm in all weathers and don't seem to overheat unless weather is actually hot, in which case - shorts
  • Waterproof overtrousers from Aldi/Lidl - lightweight and work fine
  • Generic Karrimor trainers (cold weather) or an old pair of Avocet cycling shoes (ventilated)
  • Old pair (much loved) of Campagnolo track mitts in lovely soft leather, Aldi winter gloves, silk inner gloves for very cold
  • Two buffs (neck and skull cap as needed)
  • Waterproof hood for the jacket, kept in bag until needed under helmet for downpours
All goes in a Carradice saddlebag along with tools, work stuff, sandwiches etc. I got caught in a proper downpour the other day and it kept me dry and warm except for my feet, which got soaked. I now have a paid of neoprene overshoes (Halfords, £10) which fit well but are untested so far. I suspect they won't work with the half-clips I put on the pedals this week, and I might have to go back to plain pedals. Apart from the jacket (about £50 in the mid-90s) and the track mitts (God knows how much, but worth it as I love 'em to bits), nothing on this list was very expensive and it all works adequately or better.

byass100

Can't wait for it as I'm not really a 'summer' person but lets list the advantages
  • A chance to wear proper clothes without sweating.
  • Less outdoor 'events' at the pub over the road.
  • Cyclepaths not clogged up with families on a 'walk'.
  • Sitting in front of my wood burning stove watching the flames (much better than the dross on TV).
  • A return to darker (winter warmer) beers instead of these 'over-hopped' pale Hipster 'summer ales'.
  • Less to do in the garden.
  • An end to people moaning on about how crap this summer has been (yet again)
  • The cats spending more time indoors instead of Maz worrying what dangers they're facing outside.
Roll on November and cycling in crisp bright weather whilst a lot of people cower indoors chanting "its too cold" at each other whilst us jumper/fleece wearers enjoy the quiet.
Am with you i love crisp days another sick puppy here lol.

Cyphrex

Regular
I was thinking of a turbo trainer in the garage with a forced air heater (to help take away the chill). How effective are the ice tires? Looks more like they are rivets or brads rather than spikes, so it appears they wouldn't have much grip on ice, snow maybe but then again in Texas here we only get hot or ice.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Turbo trainer with a fan to keep you cool more likely. Even in the depths of winter I am only cold before I start the turbo trainer session.

Top Bottom