Winter is coming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How effective are the ice tires? Looks more like they are rivets or brads rather than spikes, so it appears they wouldn't have much grip on ice, snow maybe but then again in Texas here we only get hot or ice.
They work for me. I've ridden over a section, just got a bit grumpy that the studs seemed to be slowing me down and it wasn't that icy, then ridden that same section towards the sun and been able to see it glistening off patches of ice I'd not noticed!

AndyRM

XOXO
:stop: Winter's not for another 3 months!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I was thinking of a turbo trainer in the garage with a forced air heater (to help take away the chill). How effective are the ice tires? Looks more like they are rivets or brads rather than spikes, so it appears they wouldn't have much grip on ice, snow maybe but then again in Texas here we only get hot or ice.
The studs are very effective. Last winter they kept me upright and I could ride a near normal speeds when most of my 11 mile commute was sheet ice after wet, melting snow refroze. Very well worth having for riding in those conditions.:okay:

The actual tungsten spike is quite small and housed in a mushroom shaped aluminium holder.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
How effective are the ice tires? Looks more like they are rivets or brads rather than spikes, so it appears they wouldn't have much grip on ice, snow maybe but then again in Texas here we only get hot or ice.
Very effective!
Actually, the Marathon winters linked are brilliant on sheet ice, but not on snow and slush, there you need the knobbly version, Ice Spikers they are called.
I have both, plenty of :cold: here in Scotland.
This year I misjudged a clear sunny March morning, took a bike with normal tyres, promptly came off a few yards into the commute: thick ice on the road :B)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As well as having good front and rear lights I also clip 2 red frog lights into the back of my helmet and 2 White in the front and set them on flash. They are really cheap and motorists can see me over the top of cars. They often cannot see bike lights set lower down if you are in traffic. I ride to work on roads that are blacker than black and I dont care if I look like a Christmas tree.

If you can get a set of camouflage overmitts from e Bay, they are great over top of thick gloves for keeping your hands dry and warm.

Thermal skiing underwear is a good, cheap base layer.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have found Aldi's blue softshell winter jacket rather good, but it doesn't stay waterproof for all that long. May need re-treating. The winter gloves get my vote with liners when it is really cold, or their ski gloves.

A buff is indispensable. I use a motorcyclist's balaclava on really cold days to keep my ears and head warm.

Old Altura winter cruisers over normal cycle shorts keep the legs warm and they come up quite high on me. Feet - overshoes - neoprene BBB - and football socks usually do the business.

I have a Mountain Warehouse cycling jacket for rainy days.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have found Aldi's blue softshell winter jacket rather good, but it doesn't stay waterproof for all that long. May need re-treating. The winter gloves get my vote with liners when it is really cold, or their ski gloves.

A buff is indispensable. I use a motorcyclist's balaclava on really cold days to keep my ears and head warm.

Old Altura winter cruisers over normal cycle shorts keep the legs warm and they come up quite high on me. Feet - overshoes - neoprene BBB - and football socks usually do the business.

I have a Mountain Warehouse cycling jacket for rainy days.
Those old Altura winter cruisers are great, shame they go tatty looking real quick but they do work well.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I have been finding the early evening ride in to work a bit of a problem recently - the l/s jersey is too chilly but anything else was too hot. I got a Chris Boardman wind jacket from Halfords at the weekend and it seems to be an excellent compromise for this time of year. Not too hot, but kept the chill off for the first couple of miles. It's only showerproof, so the shell will stay on board in case of steady rain, but I'm happy with it so far. Also took the half-clips off the pedals, which were not a great idea with clumsy trainers. With MTB pedals, there is tons of grip and standing up is no problem.

HelsBells Cambs

Buff

Um, what's a Buff when it's at home...?! (no rude answers please....)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A buff is a sort of thin hollow scarf/ open ended hat that you can wear on your head like a hat or round your neck.
dhb-buff-black-grey.jpg

RichardB

Slightly retro
There are many copies of the original Buff, of varying quality, but the idea is a brilliant one. I have three or four of them from my motorbike days. If you get an original buff, the packaging includes directions on how to use it in about a million different ways. Balaclava, hat, doo-rag, scarf, ear-muffs, many others. There are probably ways to get it to make a cup of tea and play Radio 3 as well. They take up no room, are light, wash easily, and at this time of year I wouldn't be without one.

Top Bottom