Winter Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
I just hope that they show some x country skiing, they don't normally. I think the presenters are too thick to understand it. I think Andy Musgrove is the best chance of a medal in x country we ever had.

X-Country and Biathlon for me.

I do hope the BBC up their game and make it easier to find their coverage of these events. In previous years it’s been a nightmare to find out what’s on when.

vickster

Legendary Member
X-Country and Biathlon for me.

I do hope the BBC up their game and make it easier to find their coverage of these events. In previous years it’s been a nightmare to find out what’s on when.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/59939987

Europsort tends to have a lot of winter sports too generally

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I particularly like all the outright speed events, so things like the downhill, the super G, luge, skeleton and bobsleigh. I always look forward to those, such bravery and such a spectacle. I'm starting to get more into the snowboard events as well for the same reasons, the cross and slopestyle, big air... those kids are insanely brave. I can take or leave some of the other events, the figure skating and the bowls on ice leave me cold. (Sorry). Half pipe is a bit samey. I'm a natural fan of the Ice Hockey although the unbridled violence of the NHL is rather tempered at the Olympics and there's virtually no chance of some pagga between a couple of enforcers.

[Cool story Bro]: I was once lucky enough to have a go at skiing the downhill course used in the 2010 winter Olympics, only 8 weeks before the Olympics were held. I thought it was surprisingly doable and I proudly got down in one piece in a time of about 20 minutes... then I considered that the racers would do that course with a time of less than 2 minutes. And in a rather straighter line than my tentative zig zaggy traverses. That brought me back to earth somewhat.
Brave, crazy nut cases!

Andy Musgrove is the best chance of a medal in x country
Most certainly. However, I think his chance was 4 years ago. We shall see.

it’s been a nightmare to find out what’s on when
Always difficult when there is such s huge time difference. If you want to see stuff live - which I often do. I have been known to get up at 03.00 to watch something I hope to be memorable - usually hockey.

things like the downhill, the super G, luge, skeleton and bobsleigh
Insanely fast. So fast that medals are determined by hundredths of seconds, something I find hard to watch sometimes.
Olympic Games factoid: luge is the only sport to time to thousandths of a second!

I was at the finish line of 4 man bob for a while in 2010. The adrenalin, size and muscularity of these guys was astonishing, something that I never really noticed on tv.

unbridled violence of the NHL
Something that is much reduced these days. The days of 'going to a fight and finding a hockey game breaking out' is quite rare, certainly at pro level. Generally only found during regular season matches. Come the playoffs, it is almost zero because it can be so devastatingly detrimental to a team winning.

no chance of some pagga between a couple of enforcers.
Quite true. Playing short-handed because of of some goon's idiotic penalties could be crucial to a game's outcome, penalties tend to be few in any given game. And as the knock out stages are one game only affairs at the Olympics, unlike the Stanley Cup playoffs of 7 games, it makes sense to concede as few penalties as possible.
I would love to see the Olympics final to be a best of 3 or 5 affair!

For GB fans, the mixed curlers have got off to a great start by beating 2 medal contenders. Looking like an excellent bet for a medal - just which colour?
Big shame for the Swedes and Canucks🇨🇦.

Insanely fast. So fast that medals are determined by hundredths of seconds, something I find hard to watch sometimes.
Olympic Games factoid: luge is the only sport to time to thousandths* of a second!

I was at the finish line of 4 man bob for a while in 2010. The adrenalin, size and muscularity of these guys was astonishing, something that I never really noticed on tv.
(*I think motorsports generally do too?)

I accidentally saw a bit of the World Bobsleigh Pushing Championships a few/many years ago. By the harbour, in the roasting summer heat of Monaco.
They basically setup short railway lines as the track, then charged along them, bellowing like ... well like a 4-man bob team starting a race.

Top Bottom