Winter Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I particularly like all the outright speed events, so things like the downhill, the super G, luge, skeleton and bobsleigh. I always look forward to those, such bravery and such a spectacle. I'm starting to get more into the snowboard events as well for the same reasons, the cross and slopestyle, big air... those kids are insanely brave. I can take or leave some of the other events, the figure skating and the bowls on ice leave me cold. (Sorry). Half pipe is a bit samey. I'm a natural fan of the Ice Hockey although the unbridled violence of the NHL is rather tempered at the Olympics and there's virtually no chance of some pagga between a couple of enforcers.

[Cool story Bro]: I was once lucky enough to have a go at skiing the downhill course used in the 2010 winter Olympics, only 8 weeks before the Olympics were held. I thought it was surprisingly doable and I proudly got down in one piece in a time of about 20 minutes... then I considered that the racers would do that course with a time of less than 2 minutes. And in a rather straighter line than my tentative zig zaggy traverses. That brought me back to earth somewhat.
Brave, crazy nut cases!

I've hooned it down the famous Lauberhorn route in Wengen. Two things shocked me:

1) Coming over the Hundschopf my skis were fully in contact with the snow. Downhill racers get so much air that they hardly have any time after they land before they take the next corner.
2) I can make it down in 5-6 minutes without hanging around or zig zagging, and boy it is a real buzz. They do it 3 times quicker.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/59939987

Europsort tends to have a lot of winter sports too generally

Yeah. I’ve seen that.

But you have to look through each day, notice an event that’s on in the sport you’re interested in. It’ll tell you what time it starts (you can get this info from any winter olympics site), but they don’t tell you what channel it’ll be shown on, or whether it’s only online with the BBC Sport app?

And when you do finally find the event you’re interested in and start watching it, halfway through they’ll change to show some Scottish woman rolling a rock down an ice rink, because out of the 50 people in the world who actually participate in this ‘hobby’, she may make it into the last 32! :cry:

How hard can it be in this technological age to select the event you’re interested in and have them tell you when it is being played and what channel/app you need to be on to watch it?

Rant about the BBC over. Thanks for listening. :blush:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah. I’ve seen that.

But you have to look through each day, notice an event that’s on in the sport you’re interested in. It’ll tell you what time it starts (you can get this info from any winter olympics site), but they don’t tell you what channel it’ll be shown on, or whether it’s only online with the BBC Sport app?

And when you do finally find the event you’re interested in and start watching it, halfway through they’ll change to show some Scottish woman rolling a rock down an ice rink, because out of the 50 people in the world who actually participate in this ‘hobby’, she may make it into the last 32! :cry:

How hard can it be in this technological age to select the event you’re interested in and have them tell you when it is being played and what channel/app you need to be on to watch it?

Rant about the BBC over. Thanks for listening. :blush:
Schedule can be browsed here
https://olympics.com/beijing-2022/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/olympic-schedule.htm

Discovery+ seems to be carrying much of it if you wish to subscribe

Schedule can be browsed here
https://olympics.com/beijing-2022/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/olympic-schedule.htm

Discovery+ seems to be carrying much of it if you wish to subscribe

You’ve not been listening have you?

You can go to any Winter Olympics site and see a schedule of which events happen when and, unlike the site you link to, they can also tell you in UK time.

My beef is with the BBC in particular, who I partially fund through my licence fee.

And before you start linking to Norwegian pay-per-view streaming sites, would it be too much to ask that I don’t have to pay extra to see what time and channel I can watch my favoured event on?

I expect the BBC coverage of most events will be excellent - I’d just like to know where and when to turn on?

vickster

Legendary Member
You’ve not been listening have you?

You can go to any Winter Olympics site and see a schedule of which events happen when and, unlike the site you link to, they can also tell you in UK time.

My beef is with the BBC in particular, who I partially fund through my licence fee.

And before you start linking to Norwegian pay-per-view streaming sites, would it be too much to ask that I don’t have to pay extra to see what time and channel I can watch my favoured event on?

I expect the BBC coverage of most events will be excellent - I’d just like to know where and when to turn on?
Time to write to Points of View ;)

Top Bottom