Winter road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
For those of you who want a winter work horse that will take mudguards, now is the time to look. (I appreciate some of you may sneer at such things, using the same bike year round, but I that discussion is not what I wanted to start)

I have a Trek 1.2 2008 (black one) which I got for £400 plus the mudguards. The 1.2 now has a higher spec and is pricier, but they have brought out a 1.1 which looks pretty much the same - ie basic STI levers and kit, although it has an alloy fork - my 1.2's is carbon.

So, what other winter bikes (ie ones that will take mudguards) do people recommend?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Ribble Winter Training Audax 7005 - from around £550, depending on groupset.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
This year I'll be riding a Specialized Singlecross, fixed. Going well so far, and relatively cheap.

Before that I used a hack built up with a cheap eBay frame, downtube shifters, hand-me-down wheels. I'd recommend that approach too, I liked it but I didn't feel so attached to it that I'd not want to lock it up in town, or get it filthy.

Jonathan M

Ribble winter/audax bike. Got a feeling that prices might have increased but still good VFM.
I bought mine as a frame kit, came with ITM carbon forks, seatpost, headset, mudguards and this was in the region of £200 5 years ago. Might have even got a stem for that price as well.

gavintc

Guru
I have a Kinesis TK. It takes full mudguards, but have not fitted them yet. Still waiting for the spray to get to the temperature that I find uncomfortable on my bum. :blush:

gavintc said:
I have a Kinesis TK. It takes full mudguards, but have not fitted them yet. Still waiting for the spray to get to the temperature that I find uncomfortable on my bum. :blush:

+1 although I do have the mudguards on.

I have to say, I'm not quite as fussed for this years colour scheme, although it might grow on me.... (the new TK2)

3941589858_5080630096_b.jpg

Top Bottom